How can quantum mechanics contribute in a Nuclear reactor

In summary: It's possible that some researchers are working on it, but I couldn't find anything significant with a brief search. In summary, the conversation discusses the role of quantum mechanics in nuclear reactor physics, specifically when it comes to the treatment of neutrons as waves and its impact on micro cross sections. The use of the liquid drop model in understanding fission and the potential for quantum tunneling in spontaneous fission is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a question about the potential for quantum mechanics to provide more accurate predictions of neutron flux and cross sections, but there is currently no evidence of significant improvement using quantum models.
madhisoka
Hi, does treating neutrons as waves make any difference when it comes to micro cross sections ? , does quantum mechanics help more than classical mechanics in nuclear reactor physics ?

Noticing that I am a nuclear engineering student

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't nuclear fission based on the quantum tunneling of neutrons out of the binding strong force field of a heavy nucleus? Not sure about cross sections/scattering.

hilbert2 said:
Isn't nuclear fission based on the quantum tunneling of neutrons out of the binding strong force field of a heavy nucleus?

No; fission isn't the emission of single neutrons, it's the splitting of a nucleus struck by a neutron into two fragments, each of roughly half the size of the original nucleus. (For example, the main fission reaction of U-235 when hit with a neutron is into Ba-139 and Kr-94, plus 3 neutrons.) The best model I'm aware of for fission is the liquid drop model of the nucleus, which basically says that the incoming neutron perturbs the shape of the drop from a sphere into two smaller spheres joined by a narrow "neck": the Coulomb repulsion between the two halves then causes fission. See, for example, here:

http://www.nuclear-power.net/nuclear-power/fission/

This model is basically classical, although there are some underlying quantum effects taken into account.

Likes vanhees71
madhisoka said:
does treating neutrons as waves make any difference when it comes to micro cross sections ? , does quantum mechanics help more than classical mechanics in nuclear reactor physics ?

See the link I gave in my previous post, and in particular the explanation of the various terms in the semi-empirical mass formula. Some of the terms take quantum effects (such as the Pauli exclusion principle) into account.

PeterDonis said:
No

One caveat to this: some very heavy nuclei can spontaneously fission, which can be thought of as a quantum tunneling process-but what tunnels out is not a single neutron but a smaller nucleus.

For some reason I had an idea of a nuclear chain reaction beginning with a heavy nucleus losing a neutron by tunneling, then breaking up due to the electrostatic repulsion between the protons and releasing more neutrons in the process. Where does the first neutron that starts the reaction come from, anyway? Is there a significant background radiation neutron flux on earth?

hilbert2 said:
Where does the first neutron that starts the reaction come from, anyway?

See this thread in the Nuclear Engineering forum on PF (a good resource in general on this subject, btw):

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/nuclear-reactors-how-you-start-the-reaction.481702/

hilbert2 said:
Is there a significant background radiation neutron flux on earth?

There is some from cosmic rays. I'm not aware of any other natural neutron sources.

Likes hilbert2
PeterDonis said:
See this thread in the Nuclear Engineering forum on PF (a good resource in general on this subject, btw):

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/nuclear-reactors-how-you-start-the-reaction.481702/
There is some from cosmic rays. I'm not aware of any other natural neutron sources.

Thank you for the info I fully understand the fission process I took an advanced nuclear reactor theory course , I guess u didnt get my question I meant that how good can quantum mechanics be with measuring neutron flux or cross section ? is using shrodinger equation other than using diffusion equation or transport equation of neutrons can make any difference .

madhisoka said:
how good can quantum mechanics be with measuring neutron flux or cross section ? is using shrodinger equation other than using diffusion equation or transport equation of neutrons can make any difference

Do you mean, can we use quantum mechanical models to make more accurate predictions of neutron flux or cross sections in nuclear reactors? I'm not aware of any results that show this. That might be partly because of the limits in accuracy of our measurements, and partly because any quantum effects that aren't already incorporated into the models are too small to matter.

PeterDonis said:
Do you mean, can we use quantum mechanical models to make more accurate predictions of neutron flux or cross sections in nuclear reactors? I'm not aware of any results that show this. That might be partly because of the limits in accuracy of our measurements, and partly because any quantum effects that aren't already incorporated into the models are too small to matter.
yeah that was I meant, any idea ? like using shrodinger equation instead of the transport

madhisoka said:
any idea

As I said, I'm not aware of any results that show any improvement in accuracy using quantum models instead of the current ones.

1. How can quantum mechanics be applied in a nuclear reactor?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles within a nuclear reactor. It helps in determining the energy levels and interactions between subatomic particles, which are essential for nuclear reactions to take place.

2. Can quantum mechanics improve the efficiency of a nuclear reactor?

Yes, quantum mechanics can contribute to improving the efficiency of a nuclear reactor. By using quantum tunneling, particles can pass through energy barriers, reducing the amount of energy needed for nuclear reactions and increasing the efficiency of the reactor.

3. How does quantum entanglement play a role in nuclear reactors?

Quantum entanglement, where particles become connected and share a state, can be utilized in nuclear reactors to monitor and control the behavior of particles. This can help in detecting any malfunctions or deviations from normal operations.

4. Can quantum mechanics help with nuclear waste management?

Quantum mechanics can contribute to the development of new materials and technologies for nuclear waste management. It can aid in creating more efficient and safer ways to store and dispose of nuclear waste.

5. Are there any challenges in implementing quantum mechanics in nuclear reactors?

Yes, there are several challenges in implementing quantum mechanics in nuclear reactors. One major challenge is the complexity of the calculations and simulations required, which can be difficult to perform accurately. Additionally, the technology and equipment needed for quantum-based solutions may not be readily available or cost-effective.