How can the energy stored in a spring be calculated?

• Thread starter smr101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer
In summary, the conversation was about a question regarding the use of linear motion equations and kinetic/potential energy equations to solve a problem. The person had already found the answer to part (i) but was unsure about part (ii). They had tried different methods but were not successful. The other person gave a hint to use the equation for energy stored in a spring. The summary also includes a reminder to use the provided homework help template for future inquiries.
smr101
Hi, I've attached the question and answer below.

I've got (i) but I'm unsure how to achieve the answer for (ii).

I've tried using the linear motion equations and also a combination of the kinetic/potential energy questions but haven't had any luck as of yet...

Help is much appreciated, thanks!

uTp1B.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
smr101 said:
Hi, I've attached the question and answer below.

I've got (i) but I'm unsure how to achieve the answer for (ii).

I've tried using the linear motion equations and also a combination of the kinetic/potential energy questions but haven't had any luck as of yet...

Help is much appreciated, thanks!

uTp1B.jpg

(In the future, please use the Homework Help Template that you are provided, and fill out each section. That makes it easier for us to help.)

What method did you use for (i)? Can you show us your calculations?

For (ii), Hint -- what is the equation for the energy stored in a spring?

berkeman said:
(In the future, please use the Homework Help Template that you are provided, and fill out each section. That makes it easier for us to help.)

What method did you use for (i)? Can you show us your calculations?

For (ii), Hint -- what is the equation for the energy stored in a spring?

Hi, thanks, will do.

I used the kinetic energy formula 1/2mv^2 for the first answer.

I've been able to work it out using that formula, thanks, I wasn't aware of it previously.

1. What is a buffer in the context of work and energy?

A buffer, in the context of work and energy, refers to a material or substance that is used to absorb and dissipate excess energy in a system. It acts as a temporary storage unit for energy and helps to maintain a stable and consistent energy level within the system.

2. How does a buffer work to maintain energy levels?

A buffer works by absorbing excess energy when it is present in the system, and releasing it when the energy level is low. This allows for a more consistent and stable energy level, which is important for many biological and chemical processes.

3. What are some examples of buffers in everyday life?

Buffers can be found in many everyday products, such as antacids, which help to regulate stomach acid levels, and laundry detergents, which help to maintain a stable pH level in the wash. In the body, buffers are present in blood to help maintain a stable pH level, and in saliva to regulate the pH in the mouth.

4. How are buffers used in scientific experiments?

Buffers are commonly used in scientific experiments to maintain a constant pH level, which is important for many chemical reactions. They can also be used to control the concentration of substances in a solution, as they can absorb or release ions to keep the concentration stable.

5. Can buffers be harmful to the environment?

Buffers themselves are not harmful to the environment, as they are usually made up of naturally occurring substances. However, if buffers are not disposed of properly, they can have negative effects on the environment. For example, excess nutrients from fertilizers, which act as buffers in soil, can lead to eutrophication in bodies of water.