How can the force of impact be reduced in an egg toss game?

In summary: Yes, that is correct. It is best to catch the egg as high as possible and brake its fall with as much force as possible by following through with the trajectory.
Thib
Homework Statement
So I am trying to answer a question which is about an egg toss game where two people try to throw an egg at each other without breaking it.The question is how can the force of impact be reduced?
Relevant Equations
F = Δp / Δt
So I am trying to answer a question which is about an egg toss game where two people try to throw an egg at each other without breaking it.The question is how can the force of impact be reduced so that the egg doesn't break. With respect to the F = Δ p / Δ t formula, I think increasing time of contact will mean less force. Is that correct?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Thib said:
Homework Statement: So I am trying to answer a question which is about an egg toss game where two people try to throw an egg at each other without breaking it.The question is how can the force of impact be reduced?
Homework Equations: F = Δp / Δt

So I am trying to answer a question which is about an egg toss game where two people try to throw an egg at each other without breaking it.The question is how can the force of impact be reduced so that the egg doesn't break. With respect to the F = Δ p / Δ t formula, I think increasing time of contact will mean less force. Is that correct?
Thank you
Are you looking for practical suggestions?

By the way;
:welcome:

PeroK said:
Are you looking for practical suggestions?
I am wondering how I can reduce force of impact

PeroK said:
By the way;
:welcome:
Thanks

Thib said:
I am wondering how I can reduce force of impact
Yes, I understand that. It depends on the parameters. For example:

My first suggestion is that the two people stand close to each other so they don't have to throw the egg very fast!

Is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

Or, is the distance between the throwers fixed in this game?

PeroK said:
Yes, I understand that. It depends on the parameters. For example:

My first suggestion is that the two people stand close to each other so they don't have to throw the egg very fast!

Is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

Or, is the distance between the throwers fixed in this game?
I believe the assumption is that we can neglect the distance. Specifically, the question is asking to use understanding of momentum and impulse to suggest a way to avoid breaking the egg when catching it

Thib said:
I believe the assumption is that we can neglect the distance. Specifically, the question is asking to use understanding of momentum and impulse to suggest a way to avoid breaking the egg when catching it
Okay, I've made one suggestion, now it's your turn.

Btw my suggestion was based on an understanding of momentum and impulse - and the parabolic motion of projectiles. Which gives me another idea ...

Thib said:
increasing time of contact will mean less force
Yes, that will certainly reduce the average force. Can you refine that a bit?
What would be the best trajectory?

When I was in grad school, decades ago, we had a egg tossing contest among grad departments. The winning team was the one that tossed the egg the farthest without breaking it. Needless to say, the physics team won hands down by more than 30 ft. from second place. The trick is to catch the ball high above your head and brake its fall by following through along its trajectory, stopping it around your feet. This increases the braking time interval Δt which reduces the time-averaged braking force. I participated only as a spectator, but my roommate was the receiver and I know that he and the tosser practiced with a tennis ball before the contest.

kuruman said:
reduces the time-averaged braking force
True, but as I hinted, the average force is not the critical aspect.

kuruman said:
... he and the tosser practiced with a tennis ball before the contest.
To maximize results - at the expense of cleanliness - one wonders why they didn't practice with ... eggs.

haruspex said:
True, but as I hinted, the average force is not the critical aspect.
Yes, but if Δp (assumed fixed) is spread over a longer time interval would that not mean that the instantaneous force dp/dt will be reduced (hopefully) below the breaking force for any time within the interval? Doesn't reducing the time-averaged force imply reducing the instantaneous force at all times during contact?

DaveC426913 said:
To maximize results - at the expense of cleanliness - one wonders why they didn't practice with ... eggs.
It's not about cleanliness. Graduate students would rather eat eggs than use them for practice. :oldsmile:

Likes collinsmark
kuruman said:
Yes, but if Δp (assumed fixed) is spread over a longer time interval would that not mean that the instantaneous force dp/dt will be reduced (hopefully) below the breaking force for any time within the interval? Doesn't reducing the time-averaged force imply reducing the instantaneous force at all times during contact?
I don't see how that follows.

1N over 99ms followed by 99N over 1ms is an average of a mere 1.0N per ms.
But 99N - even for only 1ms - will still break the egg.

(I am terrible at force math, and I think I may have neglected a piece of your scenario. See caveat in sig line *.)

DaveC426913 said:
The average would be 1.98N. (Not N/ms, which is not a dimension I've ever come across.)

DaveC426913 said:
I don't see how that follows.

But 99N - even for only 1ms - will still break the egg.

(I am terrible at force math, and I think I may have neglected a piece of your scenario. See caveat in sig line *.)
The figure shows schematically what I mean. Collision forces in nature usually start from zero, reach a maximum and then go back to zero. Your example is that of a force that is constant for most o the duration then spikes to a large value. If you spread out the collision duration, you bring down the peak force. If the peak force is below the threshold breaking force of the shell, the egg does not break.
Collisionforce.png

kuruman said:
The figure shows schematically what I mean. Collision forces in nature usually start from zero, reach a maximum and then go back to zero. Your example is that of a force that is constant for most o the duration then spikes to a large value. If you spread out the collision duration, you bring down the peak force. If the peak force is below the threshold breaking force of the shell, the egg does not break.
View attachment 252241
Yes, you are assuming the same overall shape stretched over a longer period. But one can do even better by changing the profile to a rectangle (over the same period).

1. How can the force of impact be reduced in an egg toss game?

The force of impact in an egg toss game can be reduced by using materials that absorb or distribute the force, such as padding or cushions, and by increasing the distance between the egg and the target.

2. What role do the properties of the egg play in reducing impact force?

The properties of the egg, such as its shape, size, and strength, can affect the force of impact. For example, a stronger and thicker shell can withstand more force and reduce the chances of cracking upon impact.

3. Is there a specific throwing technique that can minimize impact force?

Yes, a throwing technique that involves a gentle and controlled release of the egg, along with a smooth and consistent trajectory, can minimize the force of impact on the egg.

4. How can the impact force be measured in an egg toss game?

The impact force can be measured using a force sensor or by calculating the velocity and mass of the egg at the point of impact using the laws of motion.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken to reduce impact force during an egg toss game?

Yes, it is important to establish a safe throwing distance and ensure that all participants are aware of it. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves, to minimize the impact on the hands. Furthermore, participants should be reminded to throw with caution and avoid using excessive force.