How can the generators of ##U(1)## be traceless?

• A
  • Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generators
In summary, Peskin and Schroeder state that if a gauge group contains ##U(1)## factors, the theory cannot be consistently coupled to gravity unless each ##U(1)## generator is traceless. However, the conversation raises questions about how this is possible since the generators of ##U(1)## are just exponents. The speaker suggests that there may be other representations in which the generators are traceless, but this would require further investigation.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
In Peskin and Schroeder on page 681 they write:
...if the gauge group of the theory contains ##U(1)## factors, the theory cannot be consistently coupled to gravity unless each of the ##U(1)## generators is traceless.

Now, as far as I can tell the generators of ##U(1)## are just exponents, i.e ##e^{2\pi ix}##, so how can they have a zero trace if it's just one number which never vanishes?

Perhaps I am missing something here, can anyone clear this matter to me?
Ah, wait perhaps this contradiction means that you cannot couple gravity to this theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only ##0 \in \mathfrak{u}(1)= i \cdot \mathbb{R}## is traceless. But there could be another representation in which it is traceless. E.g. we could take ##\mathfrak{u}(1)\cong \left\{\begin{bmatrix}i \varphi & 0 \\0 & -i \varphi\end{bmatrix}\right\}##. So either we conclude that these generators vanish, or we choose another representation.

Likes vanhees71 and MathematicalPhysicist

1. What does it mean for a generator of ##U(1)## to be traceless?

A generator of ##U(1)## being traceless means that the trace (sum of the diagonal elements) of the generator matrix is equal to zero.

2. Why is it important for generators of ##U(1)## to be traceless?

Generators of ##U(1)## being traceless is important because it ensures that the group is unitary, meaning that its elements are invertible and preserve the inner product of vectors.

3. How can we prove that generators of ##U(1)## are traceless?

The tracelessness of generators of ##U(1)## can be proven by using the definition of the group and its properties, such as the unitarity condition and the commutator relations.

4. Can generators of ##U(1)## be non-traceless?

No, generators of ##U(1)## cannot be non-traceless. This is a fundamental property of the group and is required for it to be a unitary group.

5. Are there any physical implications of generators of ##U(1)## being traceless?

Yes, the tracelessness of generators of ##U(1)## has physical implications in quantum mechanics, particularly in the study of gauge theories and symmetries. It also plays a role in the mathematical formulation of the Standard Model in particle physics.