How can the output power of a motor be controlled using an inverter?

• Thread starter PhysicsTest
  • Start date
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
Understand the logic of output power of motor using inverter
I am trying to decode and understand the output of the inverter
1692768059101.png

I have doubt on the PIN, suppose the load is increasing on the motor then it can be done in two ways, suppose the initial Pout requirement is 1KW, it can be done either by controlling the voltage or current. Now how do I control the voltage separately and current separately? I mean i want to put the constant voltage and increase current or keep current constant and increase voltage, Is it possible?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The output of the inverter will generally be a constant AC voltage, to the extent that the inverter's output impedance is low compared to the load that it is connected to. The current varies in the load according to the impedance that the load presents to that constant inverter output AC voltage.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
PhysicsTest said:
TL;DR Summary: Understand the logic of output power of motor using inverter

I mean i want to put the constant voltage and increase current or keep current constant and increase voltage, Is it possible?
You cannot choose a voltage, apply it to a load and then change the current without changing the voltage or the characteristics of the load. They are interdependent.

RYB cables make me think about brushless motors used in RC models. As far as I am aware they work on a constant voltage (well, not exactly constant, supplied by the battery, so it goes down during flight/ride), and the power is regulated by the pulse length - current is switched on and off.

Borek said:
current is switched on and off.
Voltage is switched on and off. The inductance of the motor will force the current to continue to flow. On average, if you switch fast, you can think of this as current control with the average voltage equal to whatever the corresponding DC value would be at that current, but with voltage switched on and off as you said. Like a Buck SMPS. Then at low frequencies that current will be programmed to be sinusoidal, or at least AC with higher harmonics.

DaveE said:
Voltage is switched on and off.
Yes, careless wording on my side, sorry about that. In Polish "prąd" means both current (amperage) and "the presence of the electricity".

Mainly what I was aiming at was that the observed power output is an average over time of quick impulses, in which only voltage is directly controlled and the current is whatever the resistance/impedance allow.

Likes DaveE
PhysicsTest said:
TL;DR Summary: Understand the logic of output power of motor using inverter

Now how do I control the voltage separately and current separately? I mean i want to put the constant voltage and increase current or keep current constant and increase voltage, Is it possible?
Do you remember the old favourite I = V/R ?

Your motor is basically a Resistor (ignore the reactances for simplicity) Unless you can somehow change the Resistance of the motor then V and I are tied together. What are you trying to achieve here? Give a reference to your plan.

The output of an inverter can be produced in several ways but, whether you start with a square wave or a rough approximation with samples of different values, you filter the output and get a near sinusoidal waveform.
Borek said:
RYB cables make me think about brushless motors used in RC models.
Brushless motors are basically multiphase AC motors and the supply is produced as with a (basically) normal inverter. Speed is controlled by using a variable frequency. As the load increases. the inverter circuit provides more current to keep the supply volts the same - a mechanical overload and the supply will run out of current and the motor can stall.

1. How does an inverter control the output power of a motor?

An inverter controls the output power of a motor by converting the incoming AC power into DC power and then using pulse width modulation to adjust the frequency and voltage of the DC power, which in turn controls the speed and torque of the motor.

2. What is the role of the inverter in motor control?

The inverter acts as a middleman between the power source and the motor, converting the power from the source into a form that can be used to control the motor's speed and torque.

3. Can an inverter control the direction of a motor's rotation?

Yes, an inverter can control the direction of a motor's rotation by changing the frequency and voltage of the power supplied to the motor. This is known as a variable frequency drive.

4. How does an inverter protect the motor from damage?

An inverter can protect the motor from damage by monitoring the motor's current and temperature, and adjusting the power supply accordingly. It can also provide overload protection and prevent sudden changes in speed or torque.

5. Are there any limitations to using an inverter for motor control?

While an inverter is a versatile and efficient way to control the output power of a motor, it may not be suitable for all types of motors. Some older or specialized motors may not be compatible with inverters, and certain applications may require more precise control than an inverter can provide.