How can the quadratic equation be used to solve a trigonometric identity?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Simon green
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary, the equation can be rewritten as 2csc^2(x) - 3csc(x) + 1 = 0 after using the identity 1 + cot^2(x) = csc^2(x).
Simon green
Can anybody please help me solve this?

4cot² - 6 cosec x = -6

Mathematics news on Phys.org
simongreen93 said:

4cot² - 6 cosec x = -6

Good evening, what thoughts have you had to help solve this problem?I prefer to write everything in terms of sin and cos

\(\displaystyle 4\dfrac{\cos^2(x)}{\sin^2(x)} - \dfrac{6}{\sin(x)} = -6\)

Some thoughts:

• Clear the denominator by multiplying by the LCD of the terms above
  • Work only with one trig function - I would recommend sine as you have more of them - do you know of an identity to change your cos to sin?

simongreen93 said:

4cot² - 6 cosec x = -6

Since $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 1 + \cot^2{(x)} \equiv \csc^2{(x)} \end{align*}$ that means

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} 4\left[ \csc^2{(x)} - 1 \right] - 6\csc{(x)} &= -6 \\ 4\csc^2{(x)} - 4 - 6\csc{(x)} &= -6 \\ 4\csc^2{(x)} - 6\csc{(x)} + 2 &= 0 \\ 2\csc^2{(x)} - 3\csc{(x)} + 1 &= 0 \end{align*}$

Now solve the resulting quadratic.

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations involving trigonometric functions that are true for all values of the variables. They are often used to simplify expressions and solve equations in trigonometry.

2. What is the difference between a trigonometric identity and a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric identity is always true, while a trigonometric equation may only be true for certain values of the variables. In other words, an identity is an equality, while an equation is a statement that may or may not be true.

3. How can I prove a trigonometric identity?

There are various methods for proving trigonometric identities, such as using algebraic manipulation, using the fundamental trigonometric identities, or using geometric proofs. It is important to have a good understanding of the properties and rules of trigonometric functions when proving identities.

4. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These identities can be used to simplify expressions and solve equations involving trigonometric functions.

5. How can I use trigonometric identities in real life?

Trigonometric identities are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They can be used to solve problems involving angles and distances, such as calculating the height of a building or determining the location of a ship at sea.