How can you solve equations involving trigonometric identities?

In summary: So, in this case:$$x=\frac\pi2+2k\pi,\,k\in\mathbb{Z}$$$$x=\frac\pi6+2k\pi,\,k\in\mathbb{Z}$$Did you notice that the first one had a solution of $x=90^\circ$?
Simon green
Can anybody please help me solve either of these equations

Solve the following equation for angles between 0 and 360 degrees

4cos²θ + 5sinθ = 3
4cot² - 6 cosec x = -6

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As these are trigonometric problems, I have moved this thread accordingly. :D

Let's look at the first one:

\(\displaystyle 4\cos^2(\theta)+5\sin(\theta)=3\)

Now, we should observe that if we use a Pythagorean identity:

\(\displaystyle \cos^2(\alpha)=1-\sin^2(\alpha)\)

We will obtain an equation that is a quadratic in $\sin(\theta)$...

\(\displaystyle 4\left(1-\sin^2(\theta)\right)+5\sin(\theta)=3\)

Arrange in standard form:

\(\displaystyle 4\sin^2(\theta)-5\sin(\theta)-1=0\)

Now, what do you get when you apply the quadratic formula?

To be honest I'm lost with it all, I havnt done it in years and I'm hoping to start university soon so was just looking at refresher questions

The solutions for $ax^2+bx+c=0$ (a quadratic equation) are

$$x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}$$

Using Mark's equation, we have as possible solutions

$$\sin(x)=\frac{-(-5)\pm\sqrt{(-5)^2-4(4)(-1)}}{2(4)}=\frac{5\pm\sqrt{41}}{8}$$

but the sine function has range [-1, 1], so

$$\sin(x)=\frac{5-\sqrt{41}}{8}$$

$$x=\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{5-\sqrt{41}}{8}\right)\approx-10.101^\circ$$

This is a negative so to get solutions in our desired range we use

$$x=360+\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{5-\sqrt{41}}{8}\right)\approx349.899^\circ$$

and

$$x=180-\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{5-\sqrt{41}}{8}\right)\approx190.101^\circ$$

By the way, what do you plan on taking at university? You may need to upgrade your math skills.

this was incredibly helpful, I understand it and just needed my mind refreshing so thanks, in terms of the second one how do you substitute the identity? Is this a given formula or do you need to transpose it to find it yourself? Can you do the same working for the first part of the second question as you did with the first?

simongreen93 said:
this was incredibly helpful, I understand it and just needed my mind refreshing so thanks, in terms of the second one how do you substitute the identity? Is this a given formula or do you need to transpose it to find it yourself? Can you do the same working for the first part of the second question as you did with the first?

$4\cot^2(x) - 6cosec(x) = -6 $

For this one the relevant identity is $cot^2(x) = cosec^2(x) - 1 \ \ [\text{eq1}]$ which leads to $4(cosec^2(x)-1) - 6cosec(x) = -6$

$4cosec^2(x) - 4 - 6cosec(x) = -6 $

$2cosec^2(x) - 3cosec(x) +1 = 0$ (I've taken the liberty of cancelling out a factor of 2 here)Just in case you can't remember the identity in [eq1] you can derive it from the Pythagorean formula in post 2.

$\sin^2(x) + \cos^2(x) = 1$

Dividing each side by $\cos^2(x)$ gives the identity required $1 + \cot^2(x) = cosec^2(x)$

simongreen93 said:
... in terms of the second one how do you substitute the identity? Is this a given formula or do you need to transpose it to find it yourself? Can you do the same working for the first part of the second question as you did with the first?

$$4\cot^2(x)-6\csc(x)=-6$$

Start with

$$\sin^2(x)+\cos^2(x)=1$$

Divide through by $\sin^2(x)$:

$$1+\cot^2(x)=\csc^2(x)$$

Note that, when dividing, we should always check if there are solutions for when what we are dividing by is equal to 0, but here the original equation is not defined where $\sin(x)=0$ so we're o.k.

So our problem becomes

$$4(\csc^2(x)-1)-6\csc(x)=-6$$

$$4\csc^2(x)-6\csc(x)+2=0$$

$$2\csc^2(x)-3\csc(x)+1=0$$

$$\csc(x)=\frac{3\pm\sqrt{9-8}}{4}=1,\frac12$$

Or one can factor:

$$4\csc^2(x)-6\csc(x)+2=0$$

$$2(2\csc^2(x)-3\csc(x)+1)=0$$

$$(2\csc(x)-1)(\csc(x)-1)=0\implies\csc(x)=1,\frac12$$

$\csc(x)$ has range $(-\infty,-1]\cup[1,\infty)$ so the only (real number) solutions are where $\csc(x)=1$, i.e.,

$$x=\frac\pi2+2k\pi,\,k\in\mathbb{Z}$$

with $x$ in radians.

Note that

$$\arccsc(x)=\arcsin\left(\frac1x\right)$$

$$\arcsec(x)=\arccos\left(\frac1x\right)$$

as problems such as these may not always work out to such 'neat' values.

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These identities are used to simplify and prove other mathematical equations involving these functions.

2. What is the most basic trigonometric identity?

The most basic trigonometric identity is the Pythagorean identity, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This can be written as sin2(x) + cos2(x) = 1.

3. How are trigonometric identities used in real life?

Trigonometric identities are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. For example, they are used to calculate distances and angles in surveying, determine the position of objects in space, and design structures such as bridges and buildings.

4. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities are used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve equations involving trigonometric functions.

5. How can I remember all the trigonometric identities?

One way to remember the trigonometric identities is to understand the underlying patterns and relationships between them. You can also create a cheat sheet or practice solving problems using the identities regularly to help reinforce them in your memory.