How can the weight force of a rigid body be applied in a moments equation?

In summary, the problem involves finding the normal contact force exerted on a trap door by a rod. To solve it, the weight force of the trap must be considered, which can be assumed to act at the centroid of the trap's square shape. There are three standard equations available in 2D statics problems, but not all three are always necessary. In this case, picking an axis on the line of action of a force that is not needed to be found is a smart move. The weight force and contact force can be equated using the moments equation.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A uniform square trap door of side 0.80 m and mass 14kg has a smooth hinge at one edge and
is held open at an angle of 30° to the horizontal. It is supported by a single rigid rod placed so
that it meets the surface of the trap door at 90° at a distance 0.10m from the top edge of the
trap door.
What is the normal contact force exerted on the trap door by the rod?
Relevant Equations
P=mg
Schermata 2020-09-25 alle 14.53.49.png
I'm having a hard time solving this problem since I don't really know how to apply the weight force of the trap door.
Ideally, in order to find the contact force exerted by the rod, I would find out the weight force of the trap in the point of contact and then find its component radial to the rod... but I indeed don't know how to apply weight.

Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
Homework Statement:: A uniform square trap door of side 0.80 m and mass 14kg has a smooth hinge at one edge and
is held open at an angle of 30° to the horizontal. It is supported by a single rigid rod placed so
that it meets the surface of the trap door at 90° at a distance 0.10m from the top edge of the
trap door.
What is the normal contact force exerted on the trap door by the rod?
Relevant Equations:: P=mg

View attachment 270070
I'm having a hard time solving this problem since I don't really know how to apply the weight force of the trap door.
Ideally, in order to find the contact force exerted by the rod, I would find out the weight force of the trap in the point of contact and then find its component radial to the rod... but I indeed don't know how to apply weight.
The best way to start most of these types of problems is by drawing free body diagrams (FBDs) of each mechanical piece. Can you show us your FBD of the trap door, with the forces at the hinge and where the support connects? And if the trap door is not moving, what is true about the sums of the forces and moments that are applied to it?

Thanks. :smile:

In a 2D statics problem, there are three standard equations available. What are they?

greg_rack said:
... I'm having a hard time solving this problem since I don't really know how to apply the weight force of the trap door.
Consider that the weight of the trap is uniformly distributed across its square shape, since its thickness and density are constant.

In that particular case, we can assume that an imaginary vector weight (mass x gravity acceleration) is located at the centroid of that square and that is always pointing vertically down, regardless the angle the trap makes with the ground.

d4522.gif

6C4E71B3-4F0E-46A1-81E3-0A965056039D.jpeg

Likes greg_rack
haruspex said:
In a 2D statics problem, there are three standard equations available. What are they?
Aren't those Ftot=0(and thus a=0) and Mtot=0?

Lnewqban said:
Consider that the weight of the trap is uniformly distributed across its square shape, since its thickness and density are constant.

In that particular case, we can assume that an imaginary vector weight (mass x gravity acceleration) is located at the centroid of that square and that is always pointing vertically down, regardless the angle the trap makes with the ground.

View attachment 270074

View attachment 270073
The images you've attached are really eloquent... thank you!

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
greg_rack said:
Aren't those Ftot=0(and thus a=0) and Mtot=0?
Right, except that Ftot = 0 is available in each of two dimensions, so that makes three equations altogether.
Sometimes you do not need all three. The moments equation leaves you the choice of which point to take as the axis. If there are forces that you do not know and do not need to find then picking an axis on the line of action of such a force is a smart move, since that force will not feature in the moments equation.
Can you see such a axis in this case?

In regard to the weight of the trap door, for a rigid body in a uniform gravitational field, it is always ok to consider its weight as acting wholly at its mass centre.

Likes greg_rack
haruspex said:
Right, except that Ftot = 0 is available in each of two dimensions, so that makes three equations altogether.
Sometimes you do not need all three. The moments equation leaves you the choice of which point to take as the axis. If there are forces that you do not know and do not need to find then picking an axis on the line of action of such a force is a smart move, since that force will not feature in the moments equation.
Can you see such a axis in this case?

In regard to the weight of the trap door, for a rigid body in a uniform gravitational field, it is always ok to consider its weight as acting wholly at its mass centre.
Got it! I did it by equalling momentums of weight and contact force... the thing that was confusing me was where to locate the weight force on the trap :)
Thank you very much!

Likes Lnewqban

What is a rigid body weight application?

A rigid body weight application is a term used in physics to describe the distribution of weight on a solid object. It takes into account the mass, shape, and size of an object to calculate the distribution of weight and how it affects the object's movement and stability.

Why is rigid body weight application important?

Rigid body weight application is important because it helps us understand the behavior of solid objects in motion. It allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations for things like structural stability, vehicle dynamics, and mechanical systems.

How is rigid body weight application calculated?

Rigid body weight application is calculated by taking into account the mass of an object and its center of mass, as well as the forces acting on it. This can be done through mathematical equations or through computer simulations.

What are some real-life applications of rigid body weight application?

Rigid body weight application has many real-life applications, including designing and building structures such as bridges and buildings, analyzing the stability and performance of vehicles, and creating realistic animations and simulations in video games and movies.

What are some common misconceptions about rigid body weight application?

One common misconception about rigid body weight application is that it only applies to solid, unmoving objects. In reality, it also applies to objects in motion, as the distribution of weight affects an object's movement and stability. Another misconception is that it only applies to large objects, when in fact it can be applied to any solid object, regardless of size.