How can two cylindrical lenses can be used to form a laser sheet?

In summary: You can do that with a conventional (circularly symmetric lens), I think. Unless you want different divergence in the two axis. For example, laser diode collimators use lenses that are a combination of two cylindrical lenses (one piece of glass, normally) with different focal lengths in the two axes. This allows collimation of the fast and slow axis of the beam, which have different divergence.
photonlz
Homework Statement
If you look at the below link under 'Laser Sheet', https://www.edmundoptics.com/campaigns/cylinder-lens/

The equation is much easier for a single line generator. I am stuck at the point where I use a second lens. Say for the sheet, input beam dia is 5mm and working distance L is 100mm, I use 'x = (d/EFL) (L + EFL)' for the 1st lens, then at which distance from the 1st lens do I keep the 2nd lens and how do I choose the FL of the 2nd lens. And how to use 'x = (d/EFL) (L + EFL)' for the 2nd lens (especially about the L part).
Relevant Equations
x = (d/EFL) (L + EFL)
Would you be able to help me figure out the equation to be used at both lenses to get the final light sheet?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question. What is the difference between a "laser line" and a "laser sheet"?

I guess you want a finite laser line at the target with essentially no divergence? For this you need to design a telescope, except in only 1 dimension. It's the same as a normal (2-D) telescope, except with aligned cylindrical lenses so one axis isn't ever modified. Search for something like "telescope design", or maybe "beam expander".

https://opentextbc.ca/universityphysicsv3openstax/chapter/microscopes-and-telescopes/

DaveE said:
I don't understand your question. What is the difference between a "laser line" and a "laser sheet"?
I think since you can use a cylindrical lens to expand a beam into a line (say in the y-direction), he would like to use a 2nd cylindrical lens that the line hits to expand it into a 2-D illumination area (in both the x- and y-directions). Seems like you'd get a lot of aberration content by doing that though...

berkeman said:
I think since you can use a cylindrical lens to expand a beam into a line (say in the y-direction), he would like to use a 2nd cylindrical lens that the line hits to expand it into a 2-D illumination area (in both the x- and y-directions). Seems like you'd get a lot of aberration content by doing that though...
You can do that with a conventional (circularly symmetric lens), I think. Unless you want different divergence in the two axis. For example, laser diode collimators use lenses that are a combination of two cylindrical lenses (one piece of glass, normally) with different focal lengths in the two axes. This allows collimation of the fast and slow axis of the beam, which have different divergence.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. How do cylindrical lenses form a laser sheet?

Cylindrical lenses are used to focus a laser beam into a thin, flat sheet by altering the shape of the beam. The first lens focuses the laser in one direction, while the second lens focuses it in the perpendicular direction, resulting in a sheet-shaped beam.

2. What is the purpose of using two cylindrical lenses instead of one?

Using two cylindrical lenses allows for greater control and precision in shaping the laser beam into a sheet. One lens alone would only be able to focus the beam in one direction, resulting in a line-shaped beam instead of a sheet.

3. How are the cylindrical lenses positioned to form the laser sheet?

The two lenses are placed perpendicular to each other, with the first lens positioned to focus the laser in the horizontal direction and the second lens positioned to focus it in the vertical direction. This creates a sheet-shaped beam at the intersection point of the two lenses.

4. What factors determine the thickness and width of the laser sheet?

The thickness and width of the laser sheet can be adjusted by changing the focal lengths of the two cylindrical lenses and the distance between them. The angle at which the lenses are positioned also plays a role in determining the shape and size of the sheet.

5. What are some common applications of using cylindrical lenses to form a laser sheet?

Cylindrical lenses are commonly used in laser microscopy, where a thin sheet of laser light is used to illuminate a sample, allowing for better imaging and analysis. They are also used in laser cutting and welding processes, as well as in various industrial and scientific applications that require precise shaping of laser beams.