How can velocity be plotted in Vpython?

In summary: In that case, the velocities can be plotted directly without having to compute them using derivatives. However, if the velocities are not known, then yes, they would need to be computed using derivatives.
e2m2a
TL;DR Summary
Can't find any documentation on how to plot/graph velocity as a function of time in vpython.
Can someone tell me how to plot/graph velocity in vpython? All the documentation I see just deals with plotting the position of the object, nothing on plotting the velocity.

Technology news on Phys.org
e2m2a said:
Summary:: Can't find any documentation on how to plot/graph velocity as a function of time in vpython.

Can someone tell me how to plot/graph velocity in vpython? All the documentation I see just deals with plotting the position of the object, nothing on plotting the velocity.
I don't understand your quandary. If you are able to plot position vs. time, why can't you also plot velocity vs. time? I'm not familiar with vpython, but it seems to be concerned mostly with 3D plots. If all you need is a 2D graph, you might consider using matplotlib with Python.

Given the position as a function of time, you need to somehow compute the velocity as a function of time.
If you have an algebraic expression, then you have to take a derivative with respect to t, then plot that resulting function.
If you have a position data in an array, then you have to effectively the compute numerical derivatives akin to [itex] \Delta x/\Delta t[/itex]. (You may be used to other software that does that "automatically"... but that's because that software is doing that behind the scenes. Here in VPython, you have to do it yourself [or find a routine that does it].

robphy said:
Given the position as a function of time, you need to somehow compute the velocity as a function of time.
My assumption was that the velocities at the various times were known.

1. How do I plot velocity in Vpython?

To plot velocity in Vpython, you can use the graphing library included in Vpython. First, import the graph library by adding "from visual.graph import *" to your code. Then, create a graph object using the command "graph = gdisplay()". Finally, use the "plot" function to plot your velocity values on the graph.

2. Can I plot multiple velocity values on the same graph in Vpython?

Yes, you can plot multiple velocity values on the same graph in Vpython. Simply use the "plot" function for each set of velocity values, and they will appear on the same graph. You can also customize the appearance of each plot using different colors and line styles.

3. How can I change the axis labels and scale on my velocity graph in Vpython?

To change the axis labels and scale on your velocity graph in Vpython, you can use the "xlabel" and "ylabel" functions to set the desired labels, and the "xscale" and "yscale" functions to change the scale. For example, to set the x-axis label to "Time (s)" and the y-axis label to "Velocity (m/s)", you would use the commands "xlabel('Time (s)')" and "ylabel('Velocity (m/s)')".

4. Is it possible to add a legend to my velocity graph in Vpython?

Yes, you can add a legend to your velocity graph in Vpython by using the "legend" function. This function takes a list of labels as an argument, and creates a legend for each plot on the graph. For example, if you have two plots on your graph, you can use the command "legend(['Velocity 1', 'Velocity 2'])" to create a legend with the labels "Velocity 1" and "Velocity 2".

5. Can I save my velocity graph in Vpython as an image file?

Yes, you can save your velocity graph in Vpython as an image file by using the "save" function. This function takes a filename as an argument and saves the graph as an image file in the same directory as your code. For example, if you want to save your graph as "velocity_graph.png", you would use the command "save('velocity_graph.png')".