How can we show that the inverse is bijective?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of bijectivity between two sets and how it relates to the countability of a set. It is shown that if a function $f$ is bijective, then its inverse function $f^{-1}$ is also bijective. The conversation also touches on the importance of properly defining $f^{-1}$ in order to prove its properties.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Happy)

In my lecture notes, there is this remark:

A set $X$ is countable iff there is a $f:X \overset{\text{bijective}}{\longrightarrow} \omega$ iff $X$ is the range of a bijective sequence of lengh $\omega$.

$$f^{-1}: \omega \overset{\text{bijective}}{\longrightarrow} X$$

then $X=rng(f^{-1})=\{ f^{-1}(n): n \in \omega\}$.I was wondering how we can show that if $f$ is bijective that then $f^{-1}$ is also bijective.
We know that $f$ is injective.
So we have that for $x_1, x_2 \in X$ with $f(x_1)=f(x_2) \Rightarrow x_1=x_2$

We also know that $f$ is surjective, so we can deduce that $\forall y \in \omega$ there is a $x \in X$ such that $f(x)=y$.We want to show that if $y_1, y_2 \in \omega$ with $f^{-1}(y_1) \neq f^{-1}(y_2)$ we have that $y_1 \neq y_2$.

How could we do this? Could you give me a hint? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
This question is not about countable sets.

evinda said:
We want to show that if $y_1, y_2 \in \omega$ with $f^{-1}(y_1) \neq f^{-1}(y_2)$ we have that $y_1 \neq y_2$.
I don't think $f^{-1}(y_1) \neq f^{-1}(y_2)\implies y_1 \neq y_2$ expresses the fact that $f^{-1}$ is injective.

In dealing with injectivity of some function $g$, I recommend the positive version: $g(x_1)=g(x_2)\implies x_1=x_2$ instead of its contrapositive: $x_1\ne x_2\implies g(x_1)\ne g(x_2)$.

How about showing that bijectivity between two sets is an equivalence relation on sets? You are only interested in the symmetry property, but perhaps proving the reflexivity and transitivity properties would give you some ideas on how to go about the problem.​

Evgeny.Makarov said:
In dealing with injectivity of some function $g$, I recommend the positive version: $g(x_1)=g(x_2)\implies x_1=x_2$ instead of its contrapositive: $x_1\ne x_2\implies g(x_1)\ne g(x_2)$.
We want to show that $f^{-1}: \omega \to X$ is injective.

So in this case the positive version is this: $f^{-1}(y_1)=f^{-1}(y_2) \Rightarrow y_1=y_2$ where $y_1, y_2 \in \omega$, right?But how could we show this? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So in this case the positive version is this: $f^{-1}(y_1)=f^{-1}(y_2) \Rightarrow y_1=y_2$ where $y_1, y_2 \in \omega$, right?But how could we show this?
Apply $f$ to both sides of $f^{-1}(y_1)=f^{-1}(y_2)$.

I think I see the problem here. You haven't actually defined $f^{-1}$ mathematically, so you can't really prove anything. The simplest definition of $f^{-1}$ is the (unique) function satisfying $f(f^{-1}(x)) = f^{-1}(f(x)) = x$ for all $x \in X$, which combined with Evgeny's hint immediately leads to the injectivity of $f^{-1}$. Another possible definition is given by $f^{-1}(y) = x$ if and only if $f(x) = y$. Both definitions are equivalent, the first one being more function-centric and the second one more akin to relations, and of course both depend on $f$ being injective (if $f$ is not injective we get a contradiction). Note you have to stick with one definition unless you are prepared to prove that the two are equivalent.

It might seem like "cheating" to define $f^{-1}$ like that, but it really isn't. If you think about it, we are just describing the properties we would like $f^{-1}$ to have: an inverse function ought to satisfy $f(f^{-1}(x)) = x$ for all $x$. So we state that a function that has this property is called an ("the", after we prove it is actually unique) inverse function of $f$, we call it $f^{-1}$, and only then can we begin working with $f^{-1}$ as a mathematical object.​

Last edited:
So can we prove as follows that $f^{-1}: \omega \to X$ is bijective?

In order to prove that $f^{-1}$ is injetive, we want to show that for $y_1, y_2 \in \omega$ with $f^{-1}(y_1)=f^{-1}(y_2) \Rightarrow y_1=y_2 $,

$f^{-1}(y_1)=f^{-1}(y_2) \Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(y_1))=f(f^{-1}(y_2)) \Rightarrow y_1=y_2$.

Therefore $f^{-1}: \omega \to X$ is 1-1.

Now we want to show that $f^{-1}$ is surjective, i.e. that $\forall x \in X$ there is a $b \in \omega$ such that $f^{-1}(b)=x$

$f^{-1}(b)=x \Rightarrow f(f^{-1})(b)=f(x) \Rightarrow b=f(x)$
We cannot conclude from the surjectivity of $f$ that it holds:
$f: X \to \omega$ is surjective. That means that $\forall y \in \omega$ there is a $x \in X$ such that $f(x)=y$.How else could we deduce that $f^{-1}$ is surjective? (Thinking)

evinda said:
In order to prove that $f^{-1}$ is injetive, we want to show that for $y_1, y_2 \in \omega$ with $f^{-1}(y_1)=f^{-1}(y_2) \Rightarrow y_1=y_2 $,

$f^{-1}(y_1)=f^{-1}(y_2) \Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(y_1))=f(f^{-1}(y_2)) \Rightarrow y_1=y_2$.

Therefore $f^{-1}: \omega \to X$ is 1-1.
Yes.

evinda said:
Now we want to show that $f^{-1}$ is surjective, i.e. that $\forall x \in X$ there is a $b \in \omega$ such that $f^{-1}(b)=x$

$f^{-1}(b)=x \Rightarrow f(f^{-1})(b)=f(x) \Rightarrow b=f(x)$
The arrows must be reversed. You need to exhibit a $b$ and prove $f^{-1}(b)=x$, not use it as an assumption.

evinda said:
We cannot conclude from the surjectivity of $f$ that it holds:
$f: X \to \omega$ is surjective.
And I cannot conclude from your post that you wrote a post. (Smile)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The arrows must be reversed. You need to exhibit a $b$ and prove $f^{-1}(b)=x$, not use it as an assumption.
So do you mean that we have to use the surjectivity of $f: X \to \omega$?
If so, it is as follows:

$f$ is surjective. That means that $\forall y \in \omega, \exists x \in X$ such that $f(x)=y$.

$f(x)=y \Rightarrow f^{-1}(f(x))=f^{-1}(y) \Rightarrow f^{-1}(y)=x$But in order to show that $f^{-1}: \omega \to X$ is surjective we want to show that $\forall y \in $ X, $\exists x \in$ ω such that $f^{-1}(x)=y$.
Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
And I cannot conclude from your post that you wrote a post. (Smile)
(Bigsmile)

I meant that we cannot conclude from the surjectivity of $f$ that it holds that $f^{-1}: X \to \omega$ is surjective. (Giggle) (Wasntme)

evinda said:
So do you mean that we have to use the surjectivity of $f: X \to \omega$?
I did not say to use the surjectivity of $f$. I just said that the arrows in that quote should be reversed.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I did not say to use the surjectivity of $f$. I just said that the arrows in that quote should be reversed.

So do we suppose a $b$ such that $f(x)=b$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So do we suppose a $b$ such that $f(x)=b$ ?
One can suppose a proposition, but not an object such as a number.

Given an $x$, you need to find a $b$ such that $f^{-1}(b)=x$. Take $b=f(x)$; then $f^{-1}(b)=f^{-1}(f(x))=x$, as required.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
One can suppose a proposition, but not an object such as a number.

Given an $x$, you need to find a $b$ such that $f^{-1}(b)=x$. Take $b=f(x)$; then $f^{-1}(b)=f^{-1}(f(x))=x$, as required.

I see.. (Nod) But we have to take a $b \in f(X)$, right? (Thinking)

EDIT: But it is $f(X)=\omega$ since $f$ is surjective, right?

I wrote a complete proof that $f^{-1}$ is surjective. Nothing else is necessary.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I wrote a complete proof that $f^{-1}$ is surjective. Nothing else is necessary.

Nice! Thanks a lot! (Happy)

Related to How can we show that the inverse is bijective?

1. What is a bijective function?

A bijective function is a type of function in mathematics where each element in the domain has a unique corresponding element in the range, and vice versa. This means that every input has one and only one output, and every output has one and only one input. In other words, a bijective function is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto).

2. Why is it important to show that the inverse is bijective?

It is important to show that the inverse is bijective because it proves that the function is a bijection, meaning it is both injective and surjective. This is useful in many mathematical applications, such as finding the inverse of a function, solving equations, and understanding the relationship between two sets of data.

3. How do we prove that the inverse is bijective?

To prove that the inverse is bijective, we need to show that the function is both injective and surjective. This can be done by using mathematical techniques, such as using the definition of injectivity and surjectivity, or by using a proof by contradiction. We can also use graphs and tables to visually demonstrate the bijective nature of the function.

4. Can a function have an inverse that is not bijective?

Yes, a function can have an inverse that is not bijective. This can happen when the function is not injective or not surjective. For example, if a function is not injective, there may be two different inputs that produce the same output, making it impossible to find a unique inverse. Similarly, if a function is not surjective, there may be elements in the range that do not have a corresponding element in the domain, making it impossible to find an inverse for those elements.

5. How can we use the concept of bijective functions in real life?

Bijective functions have many real-life applications, such as in computer programming, cryptography, and data analysis. In computer programming, bijective functions are used to ensure data integrity and security. In cryptography, bijective functions are used to encrypt and decrypt messages. In data analysis, bijective functions are used to establish relationships between variables and make predictions based on data.