How can you actually measure the electron position?

In summary, the electron position can be measured through various methods, including using a scanning tunneling microscope to track the electron's movement on a surface, measuring the deflection of electrons in a magnetic field, or using quantum entanglement to indirectly infer the electron's position. These techniques have allowed scientists to gain a better understanding of the behavior and properties of electrons, which are fundamental building blocks of matter.
Tomishiyo
Standard quantum mechanics text-books discusses Born rule, which states that the probability of finding a particle in a certain region in space is given by

$$ |\Psi ({\bf r},t)|^2d^3r $$

Thing is, I never have seen a discussion about how you can actually measure the particle position in a given system. Do you use x-rays? How the experiment actually works? Can you refer me to papers about it or describe the experiment with details?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can let the particle run into a photographic plate which produces a dot at the point of impact. Or you can shine light on the particle and look for reflections/scattering. That sort of thing.

Likes bhobba
Tomishiyo said:
Standard quantum mechanics text-books discusses Born rule, which states that the probability of finding a particle in a certain region in space is given by

Thing is, I never have seen a discussion about how you can actually measure the particle position in a given system. Do you use x-rays? How the experiment actually works? Can you refer me to papers about it or describe the experiment with details?

As has been stated, you let an electron hit a screen that will leave a mark or a signal. I can also make a very small slit, and if I detect a signal after the slit, I know that the electron passed through that position where the slit is. The uncertainty in the position corresponds to the width of the slit.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
As has been stated, you let an electron hit a screen that will leave a mark or a signal. I can also make a very small slit, and if I detect a signal after the slit, I know that the electron passed through that position where the slit is. The uncertainty in the position corresponds to the width of the slit.

Zz.

I think the OP meant the position of the electron in an atom.

ftr said:
I think the OP meant the position of the electron in an atom.

This is the OP's post (my emphasis)

Tomishiyo said:

Nowhere in there is there any indication that this is only for within an atom.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is the OP's post (my emphasis)
Nowhere in there is there any indication that this is only for within an atom.

Zz.

That is why I said I think, because he said "in a given system", atoms being the more interesting case. But anyway the OP himself can clarify if he wishes.

ftr said:
That is why I said I think, because he said "in a given system", atoms being the more interesting case. But anyway the OP himself can clarify if he wishes.

"Interesting" is subjective. Electrons in a Luttinger Liquid system is more interesting to me. Yet, I try not to impose what I find "interesting" to the question.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
And yet, if you let a photon go through the same slit and detect it, you haven't measured its position. Or so I'm told.

Derek Potter said:
And yet, if you let a photon go through the same slit and detect it, you haven't measured its position. Or so I'm told.

I have too! At the moment that photon passed through that slit, where do you think it is? 20 miles away?

I have dealt with this in my explanation of the HUP in another post

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/misconception-of-the-heisenberg-uncertainty-principle.765720/

... or so I'm told.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes bhobba
ZapperZ said:
I have too! At the moment that photon passed through that slit, where do you think it is? 20 miles away?

He is referring to the fact in QED for a photon position is not an observable.
http://arnold-neumaier.at/physfaq/topics/position.html
'The POVM does not allow one to talk about the position of a photon - which could exist only if the corresponding operator existed -, but only about the measured position: The photon is somewhere near the range of values established by the measurement, without any more definite statement being possible.'

In other words you can localise its field but getting an exact position is problematical.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
He is referring to the fact in QED for a photon position is not an observable.
http://arnold-neumaier.at/physfaq/topics/position.html
'The POVM does not allow one to talk about the position of a photon - which could exist only if the corresponding operator existed -, but only about the measured position: The photon is somewhere near the range of values established by the measurement, without any more definite statement being possible.'

In other words you can localise its field but getting an exact position is problematical.

Thanks
Bill

But within the context of this thread, i.e. the OP is asking how one actually measures the position of a particle, it is the act of measurement and the experiment that matters. As I've said, I can localize the position of a photon or an electron when it passed through such a slit. A whole slew of experiments depend on that being true. Otherwise, a lot of things will go wrong with our measurements.

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
ZapperZ said:
But within the context of this thread, i.e. the OP is asking how one actually measures the position of a particle

Hi Zapper

For sure.

Thanks
Bill

Derek Potter said:
And yet, if you let a photon go through the same slit and detect it, you haven't measured its position.
ZapperZ said:
Why 20? ...if he were wrong, then one would have been enough... :oldeyes:

Last edited:
Thank you all for your answers, and apologies for my delayed answer.

I was not thinking only about atoms, but it would be interesting to know how the experiment is done in this case. Also, does anyone knows any paper describing one of such experiments?

Related to How can you actually measure the electron position?

1. How do you determine the position of an electron?

The position of an electron cannot be measured with 100% accuracy due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. However, it can be approximated using methods such as electron diffraction, scanning tunneling microscopy, and atomic force microscopy.

2. What is the smallest unit used to measure electron position?

The smallest unit used to measure electron position is the nanometer (nm), which is equal to one billionth of a meter. This is because electrons are extremely small particles and their position can only be measured at a very small scale.

3. Can you measure the position of an electron without disturbing it?

No, according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the act of measuring the position of an electron will inevitably disturb its momentum. This means that the more accurately we try to measure its position, the less accurately we can determine its momentum.

4. How does the position of an electron affect its behavior?

The position of an electron can affect its behavior in a number of ways. For example, in an atom, the position of an electron determines its energy level and the likelihood of it interacting with other particles. In a solid material, the position of electrons in the atomic lattice determines the material's conductivity and other properties.

5. Can the position of an electron be measured in a vacuum?

Yes, the position of an electron can be measured in a vacuum using various techniques such as electron microscopy or spectroscopy. In fact, many experiments that involve measuring electron position are conducted in a vacuum to minimize interference from external particles.