How can you determine the following limit

• Thread starter OmniNewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: This is just a limit.Right, in that you need to use both the conjugates, the one for the numerator as well as the one for the denominator.
OmniNewton

Homework Statement

How can you determine the following limit using rationalization?
1d59dee5b47bea3364b542becd79d9f1.png

where x = h

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to multiply by the conjugate and cannot get the problem to work out. When doing this I noticed no terms canceled out and now I am stuck.

We have not use l'hopital's rule in our class and I am wondering how I can solve this problem without derivatives.
I simplified the limit to the following state:

6cc75e0ad164028c6be328f2189cc694.png

Additionally, I tried taking the conjugate of the numerator as well. The problem is every substitution leads to 0/0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean the following?
[tex] \lim _{h \to 0} \frac{\sqrt{h^2 + 15} - \sqrt{h + 15}}{\sqrt{h + 3} - 2}[/tex]

axmls said:
Do you mean the following?
[tex] \lim _{h \to 0} \frac{\sqrt{h^2 + 15} - \sqrt{h + 15}}{\sqrt{h + 3} - 2}[/tex]

yes

OmniNewton said:

Homework Statement

How can you determine the following limit using rationalization? lim x--> 0 (h^2 + 15)^(1/2) - (h + 15)^(1/2) divided by (h+3)^1/2 - 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to multiply by the conjugate and cannot get the problem to work out. When doing this I noticed no terms canceled out and now I am stuck.

We have not use l'hopital's rule in our class and I am wondering how I can solve this problem without derivatives.
Is the limit supposed to be evaluated as x → 0 or as h → 0?

In the expression above, there is no x variable.

SteamKing said:
Is the limit supposed to be evaluated as x → 0 or as h → 0?

In the expression above, there is no x variable.
Sorry that is a extremely simple mistake you are correct as h--->0

Have you tried simply plugging [itex]h = 0[/itex] in?

axmls said:
Have you tried simply plugging [itex]h = 0[/itex] in?
My bad the problem is actually h----> 1 I have been looking at the problem for 2 hours :p

You don't necessarily need terms to cancel out when you multiply by the conjugate. What you need to do is ensure that you're not dividing by 0. It would help to show your work when you do that.

axmls said:
You don't necessarily need terms to cancel out when you multiply by the conjugate. What you need to do is ensure that you're not dividing by 0. It would help to show your work when you do that.

OK I will post a screen shot of my work

OmniNewton said:

Attachments

• rsz_windsor-20151023-00471.jpg
    rsz_windsor-20151023-00471.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 354
So, notice what's causing difficulties. You want to make sure you don't divide by 0, but multiplying by the conjugate of the numerator won't take away that term in the denominator that goes to 0. So perhaps try multiplying by the conjugate of the bottom.

OmniNewton said:
My bad the problem is actually h----> 1 I have been looking at the problem for 2 hours :p
Sometimes, a limit can be evaluated by simply plugging in the limit value, as suggested by axmls. It's only when you get either an infinite or otherwise undefined result by substitution that you need to resort to more subtle manipulations.

Hi, I tried taking the conjugate of the bottom and a similar problem has occurred:

BVAxuat.jpg

The problem is still of the form (0/0) when substituted in

SteamKing said:
Sometimes, a limit can be evaluated by simply plugging in the limit value, as suggested by axmls. It's only when you get either an infinite or otherwise undefined result by substitution that you need to resort to more subtle manipulations.
How can you not divide by zero if the zero term is not eliminated?

OmniNewton said:
How can you not divide by zero if the zero term is not eliminated?
Well, this problem keeps changing, for some reason.

SteamKing said:
Well, this problem keeps changing, for some reason.
Sorry it should have only been that one change to make it so h---> 1 instead of h---> 0

OmniNewton said:

No, no, please don't. Screen shots are discouraged; typing it all out is much preferred, because the results are essentially device-independent.

Ray Vickson said:
No, no, please don't. Screen shots are discouraged; typing it all out is much preferred, because the results are essentially device-independent.

I simplified the limit to the following state:

6cc75e0ad164028c6be328f2189cc694.png

Last edited:
The following limit should actually simplify to this:

4e80e6466c6058dd14e059c382ed55fb.png

I figured out the solution! One must multiply the equation by both conjugates!

Thank you for the Guidance.

OmniNewton said:
I figured out the solution! One must multiply the equation by both conjugates!

Thank you for the Guidance.
Right, in that you need to use both the conjugates, the one for the numerator as well as the one for the denominator.

By the way, it's not a equation. An equation has two sides separated by an equal sign.

Related to How can you determine the following limit

How can you determine the limit of a function?

The limit of a function can be determined by evaluating the function at values that approach the desired limit from both sides. If the function approaches the same value from both sides, then that value is the limit.

What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers values approaching the desired limit from one side, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit takes into account values approaching from both sides, and the limit only exists if both sides approach the same value.

How do you calculate the limit of a rational function?

To calculate the limit of a rational function, you can use direct substitution if the function is defined at the desired limit. If not, you can factor the function and cancel out common factors to determine the limit.

Can a limit exist even if the function is not defined at that point?

Yes, a limit can exist even if the function is not defined at that point. This is because the limit only considers values approaching the desired point, not the actual value at that point.

What are some common methods for evaluating limits?

Common methods for evaluating limits include direct substitution, factoring and canceling, rationalizing the numerator or denominator, and using the squeeze theorem. Other methods such as L'Hopital's rule and Taylor series expansions can also be used for more complicated functions.