How can you find the relative extrema of |1+\sqrt[3]{x}|?

In summary, using the first derivative test, we can determine that the function |1+\sqrt[3]{x}| has a relative extremum at x=0 but not at x=-1, as x=-1 is a sharp corner and not differentiable.
John O' Meara
Use any method to find the relative extrema of [tex]|1+\sqrt[3]{x}|[/tex].
I get the following [tex] |1+\sqrt[3]{x}| = \left\{\begin{array}{cc} 1+\sqrt[3]{x}, & \mbox{if} x >-1 \\ -1-\sqrt[3]{x}, & \mbox{if} x<-1\end{array}\right[/tex]
Using the first derivative test, I get [tex] f'(x) = \frac{1}{3x^{2/3}} \mbox{and} -\frac{1}{3x^{2/3}}[/tex]. These suggest that there is a relative extremum at x=0 but not at x=-1, actually it is an inflection point at x=0. What is next? Maybe I am confused about absolute values! I think I have the function piece wise ok.Please help. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
At x=0, the derivative is infinite. I am confused about what you are confused about.

Should not f'(x) =0 show a relative minimum at x=-1, i.e., if f(x) is differentiable at x=-1. According to my graphing calculator there is a relative minimum at x=-1. But I do not know to find the relative minimum at x=-1 by calculus? Thanks.

f(x) is not differentiable at x=-1.

That can be seen by the different values the right-hand derivative and left-hand derivative gets there.

Thus, x=-1 is a sharp corner, and it is, indeed, a relative extremum.

Related to How can you find the relative extrema of |1+\sqrt[3]{x}|?

1. What is a relative extremum?

A relative extremum is a point on a graph where the function reaches either a maximum or minimum value in a particular interval. It is also known as a local extremum because it is only compared to the values in a small neighborhood around it, rather than the entire domain of the function.

2. How do you find the relative extrema of a function?

To find the relative extrema of a function, you must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the values of x that make the derivative equal to zero. These values are the critical points of the function. Next, plug each critical point into the original function to determine if it is a maximum or minimum value.

3. Can a function have more than one relative extremum?

Yes, a function can have multiple relative extrema. This occurs when the function has multiple critical points that result in either a maximum or minimum value.

4. How can you determine if a relative extremum is a maximum or minimum?

To determine if a relative extremum is a maximum or minimum, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive at the critical point, then it is a minimum value. If the second derivative is negative, then it is a maximum value. If the second derivative is zero, then the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

5. What is the significance of finding relative extrema in a function?

Finding the relative extrema of a function can provide valuable information about the behavior and properties of the function. It can help identify the maximum and minimum values of the function, which can be useful in optimization problems. It also helps to determine the concavity of the function and the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing.