How could we show that D is bounded and closed?

In summary, the author is saying that if each continuous function is bounded on a given set, then the set is compact.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $D\subseteq \mathbb{R}$ be a non-empty set. I want to show that $D$ ist compact if and only if each continuous function is bounded on $D$.

I have done the following:

We suppose that $D$ is compact. Since $f$ is continuous, we have that $f(D)$ is also compact, right? (Wondering)
We have that a set is compact iff it is bounded and closed.
Therefore, we have that $f(D)$ is bounded, and so $f$ is bounded on $D$.

Let $f$ be a continuous function that is bounded on $D$.
Since $f$ is bounded on $D$, we have that $f(D)$ is bounded.
To show that $D$ is compact we have to show that $D$ is bounded and closed.
Could you give me a hint how we could show that? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Let $D\subseteq \mathbb{R}$ be a non-empty set. I want to show that $D$ ist compact if and only if each continuous function is bounded on $D$.

I have done the following:

We suppose that $D$ is compact. Since $f$ is continuous, we have that $f(D)$ is also compact, right? (Wondering)
We have that a set is compact iff it is bounded and closed.
Therefore, we have that $f(D)$ is bounded, and so $f$ is bounded on $D$.

Let $f$ be a continuous function that is bounded on $D$.
Since $f$ is bounded on $D$, we have that $f(D)$ is bounded.
To show that $D$ is compact we have to show that $D$ is bounded and closed.
Could you give me a hint how we could show that? (Wondering)

Suppose that each continuous function on $D$ is bounded.

We argue that $D$ is closed. Suppose not. Then there is a point $b\notin D$ such that $b$ is in the boundary of $D$. Define $f: D\to \mathbf R$ as $f(x)=1/(x-b)$. Then $f$ is an unbounded continuous function on $D$. This is a contradiction.

Now since the map $g: D\to \mathbf R$ defined as $g(x)=x$ for all $x\in D$ is bounded, we infer that $D$ is bounded.

Therefore $D$ is closed and bounded, and thus compact.

caffeinemachine said:
Then there is a point $b\notin D$ such that $b$ is in the boundary of $D$. Define $f: D\to \mathbf R$ as $f(x)=1/(x-b)$. Then $f$ is an unbounded continuous function on $D$. This is a contradiction.

Why is $f$ unbounded? (Wondering)

Do we apply $f$ at $x_n$, and since $x_n\rightarrow b$, $x_n$ is arbitrarily close to $b$, therefore $x_n-b$ is arbitrarily close to $0$, and so $f(x)$ goes to infinity?

Last edited by a moderator:
mathmari said:
Why is $f$ unbounded? (Wondering)

Do we apply $f$ at $x_n$, and since $x_n\rightarrow b$, $x_n$ is arbitrarily close to $b$, therefore $x_n-b$ is arbitrarily close to $0$, and so $f(x)$ goes to infinity?
That is correct.

caffeinemachine said:
That is correct.

Thank you! (Yes)

1. How do we define a bounded set in mathematics?

A bounded set in mathematics is a set that has a finite range or limit. In other words, all elements of the set are contained within a specific range or interval. This means that the set does not go to infinity in any direction.

2. What does it mean for a set to be closed?

A closed set is a set that contains all of its limit points. In other words, if a sequence of points within the set converges, the limit of that sequence is also within the set. This ensures that there are no "holes" or missing points in the set.

3. How can we show that a set is bounded?

To show that a set is bounded, we can use the definition of boundedness. We must prove that all elements in the set fall within a specific range or interval. This can be done by showing that the distance between any two points in the set is finite, or by finding a specific upper and lower bound for the set.

4. How do we prove that a set is closed?

To prove that a set is closed, we can use the definition of closed sets. This means showing that all of the limit points of the set are also contained within the set. This can be done by showing that any convergent sequence in the set has a limit that is also within the set.

5. Can a set be both bounded and closed?

Yes, a set can be both bounded and closed. In fact, many commonly used sets in mathematics, such as closed intervals and closed balls, are both bounded and closed. This means that the set has a finite range and also contains all of its limit points, making it a well-defined and complete set.