How deep can you dive to get 3x pressure? (101,3 kPa)

• Thread starter DecoratorFawn82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the question asks for the depth at which the pressure is 3 times as large as the air pressure at the surface of the water (101.3 kPa). Using the fluid pressure formula, the solution is found to be 20 meters deep, where the pressure is 3 times larger than the surface pressure and 2 times larger than the pressure at 30 meters deep. This can also be seen in a table starting from the surface, where the pressure increases by a factor of 1 every 10 meters.
DecoratorFawn82
I'm very new to physics and I haven't learned exactly
what everything is called yet. Sorry if I confuse you.

1. Homework Statement

How deep do you have to dive in a lake to get
the total pressure 3 times as large as the airpressure
at the surface of the water (101,3 kPa)?

Normal pressure at sea surface: 101,3 kPa = 101,3*(10^3) Pa
Water density: 998 kg/m3
Gravity in Sweden: 9.82 N/kg

p = 101,3 kPa
ρ = 998 kg/m3
g = 9.82 N/kg

Homework Equations

Fluid pressure formula: p = ρgh
Get deep (h): h = p/(ρ*g)

The Attempt at a Solution

h = (101,3*(10^3))/(998*9.82)
h = 10.34 m

Total pressure three times as large as the airpressure at the sea surface

h = 10.34 * 3
h = 31 m

Correct answer: 20 m

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

your calculations are basically correct. Imagine you are at 30 m and the pressure is about 300 kPa. Now you get up to the surface. What pressure is there, if you had 300 kPa at 30 m?

I don't get it because if you get up to the sea surface then the pressure would be 101,3 kPa again according to the exercise.

But if I am at 30 m and the pressure is 300 kPa wouldn't it be something like:

30 m = 300 kPa
20 m = 200 kPa
10 m = 100 kPa
0 m = 0 kPa

I don't really get what you mean and how I'm supposed to solve it by that.

DecoratorFawn82 said:
But if I am at 30 m and the pressure is 300 kPa wouldn't it be something like:

30 m = 300 kPa
20 m = 200 kPa
10 m = 100 kPa
0 m = 0 kPa

That's exactly the point. At the surface the pressure isn't 0. If you rewrite this table starting at 0 m (surface) with the surface pressure and add the pressure difference every ten metres...

Sorry if I'm slow but I still don't get why the answer is 20 m instead of closely 30 m.

I think you are dealing with a terminology issue. They are asking for the depth at which the pressure is 3x as large as the pressure at the surface. That means that it is 2x larger than the pressure at the surface.

Yeah, but why is the pressure 2x larger than the pressure at the surface and not 3x?

DecoratorFawn82 said:
Yeah, but why is the pressure 2x larger than the pressure at the surface and not 3x?
The term 3x as large as is semantically the same thing as the term 2x larger.

I mean that if you have for example an rectangle. And you can extend it. Then 3x and 2x isn't the same thing because if x = 4 then:

3 * 4 = 12
2 * 4 = 8

DecoratorFawn82 said:
I mean that if you have for example an rectangle. And you can extend it. Then 3x and 2x isn't the same thing because if x = 4 then:

3 * 4 = 12
2 * 4 = 8
I mean how the terms "as large as" and "larger than" are used in the English language. If they asked how deep do you have to go so that the pressure is 2x larger than at the surface, what would your answer have been?

Chet

p = 101,3 kPa
p = 101,3 kPa * 2
p = 202,6 kPa

h = 10,34 m
h = 10,34 m * 2
h = 20,68 m

That's what my answer would be?

DecoratorFawn82 said:
p = 101,3 kPa
p = 101,3 kPa * 2
p = 202,6 kPa

h = 10,34 m
h = 10,34 m * 2
h = 20,68 m

That's what my answer would be?
Yes. That's the depth at which the pressure is 2x larger than the pressure at the surface and 3x as large as the pressure at the surface.

Part of your problem might also be that your starting equation should have been:
$$p=p_0+ρgh$$
where p0 is the pressure at the surface.

Chet

DecoratorFawn82 said:
Sorry if I'm slow but I still don't get why the answer is 20 m instead of closely 30 m.

The table starting from sea surface and getting deeper could look like this:

h0 = 0⋅10 m / p0 = ... kPa (=p0⋅1)
h1 = 1⋅10 m / p1 = ... kPa (=p0⋅(1+...))
hn = n⋅10 m / pn = ... kPa (=p0⋅(1+...))

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure?

The formula for pressure is force divided by area, or P = F/A. In this case, we are looking at atmospheric pressure, so the force is the weight of the air above us and the area is the surface area of the Earth.

2. How deep do you have to dive to experience 3x normal atmospheric pressure?

To experience 3x normal atmospheric pressure, you would need to dive to a depth of approximately 33 feet (10 meters) in sea water. This is because for every 33 feet of sea water, the pressure increases by an additional atmosphere, or 14.7 pounds per square inch (psi).

3. Why is it important to know the depth at which pressure increases 3x?

Knowing the depth at which pressure increases 3x is important for scuba divers and other deep sea explorers. It allows them to plan their dives and ensure their safety by monitoring their depth and dive time to avoid decompression sickness.

4. Can you experience 3x pressure at higher altitudes?

No, 3x pressure can only be experienced at sea level or at depths below the surface of the water. As altitude increases, atmospheric pressure decreases, so the pressure at higher altitudes would actually be less than 3x normal atmospheric pressure.

5. How does pressure affect the human body at 3x normal atmospheric pressure?

At 3x normal atmospheric pressure, the body experiences increased pressure on its tissues and organs. This can lead to difficulty breathing, changes in heart rate and blood pressure, and other physiological effects. It is important for divers to monitor and adjust to these changes to ensure their safety while diving.