How did my friend get this "Theoretical Velocity" ?

• Thread starter AlexisFair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem statement involving two synchronized atomic clocks, one on a satellite orbiting at high speeds and one in a lab at rest with respect to the Earth. The person in the forum asks for clarification on how to find the theoretical velocity for the orbiting clock and how to account for variations in the average speed of a satellite. The response provides a link to a previous forum post where the value of 3000 m/s is suggested for the orbiting clock's velocity and explains that average speed of a satellite can vary depending on the orbit's height. The conversation also discusses how to calculate the results of the experiment if the speed of light was reduced to twice the average speed of a satellite. In summary, the time
AlexisFair
1. The problem statement,d all variables and given/known data

Two atomic clocks are synchronized. One is placed on a satellite which orbits around the Earth at high speeds for a whole year. The other is placed in a lab and remains at rest with respect to the earth. You may assume both clocks can measure time accurately to many significant digits.

a) Will the two clocks still be synchronized after one year?

b) imagine the speed of light is much lower than its actual value. How would the results of this experiment change if the speed of light was only twice the average speed of the satellite? Explain your reasoning using a calculation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Someone already posted this homework question (See link below) and I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions.

So for question A
The person the forum, found the theoretical time in seconds for one year, which is easy enough to get however, how did this person find theoretical velocity (3x103m/s) ? And is that velocity based on the atomic clock in respect to the Earth's reference? Question B)

Average speed of a satellite, is that something that can vary? IF so how would I know which speed to use?
Sorry this question is very confusing for me.

Reference:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/atomic-clock-time-dilation-experiment.565750/

Physics news on Phys.org
3000 m/s is approximately the speed of a satellite in geostationary orbit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geostationary_orbit. In low Earth orbit it would be about 8000 m/s.
AlexisFair said:
Average speed of a satellite, is that something that can vary?
Not really, if it keeps the same orbit. Average speed will vary with orbital height.

Since nothing is stated in the problem regarding the altitude of the orbiting clock (which also determines v), it seems he simply chose what he felt was a convenient value. The problem with the value he chose was that it put the orbiting clock at a higher altitude than the Earth surface clock which meant that he also had to take gravitational time dilation into account. He could have made it easier for himself by assuming that the clock orbited just above the surface of the Earth at the same height as the other clock. Then by using the equation for orbital velocity, he could have worked out a general equation that would have helped with part b without his ever having to know the actual value of v.

Likes PeroK
Thank you guys for the help! When I saw 3 X 10^3 I didn't know what it was and thought maybe it was a set value that i forgot to write in my notes.

Also, would you guys happen to know how the person got the value "1x10^-6" for question B?

I tried to solving for "c" in the equation Δtm = Δts/√(1-v2/c2) and I got c= 3,000,000 and that didn't look right to me since the question says " How would the results of this experiment change if the speed of light was only twice the average speed of the satellite?" I mean shouldn't "c" be 6000 m/s since 2(3000) is twice the average speed of a satellite?

Janus said:
Since nothing is stated in the problem regarding the altitude of the orbiting clock (which also determines v), it seems he simply chose what he felt was a convenient value. The problem with the value he chose was that it put the orbiting clock at a higher altitude than the Earth surface clock which meant that he also had to take gravitational time dilation into account. He could have made it easier for himself by assuming that the clock orbited just above the surface of the Earth at the same height as the other clock. Then by using the equation for orbital velocity, he could have worked out a general equation that would have helped with part b without his ever having to know the actual value of v.

mjc123 said:
3000 m/s is approximately the speed of a satellite in geostationary orbit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geostationary_orbit. In low Earth orbit it would be about 8000 m/s.

Not really, if it keeps the same orbit. Average speed will vary with orbital height.

Please let me know if you understand what I mean. for question B. I would like to understand it a bit more.

AlexisFair said:
Please let me know if you understand what I mean. for question B. I would like to understand it a bit more.
Question b is quite straight forward if you think about it. It basically breaks down to this:
What happens to the time dilation formula if you substitute 2v for c? (note that you don't actually have to know the value of v to do this.)

Janus said:
Question b is quite straight forward if you think about it. It basically breaks down to this:
What happens to the time dilation formula if you substitute 2v for c? (note that you don't actually have to know the value of v to do this.)
Δtm = Δts/√(1-v2/c2)
Δtm = Δts/√(1-v2/(2v)2)
Δtm = Δts/√(1-(1/4))
Δtm = 3.1x107/√(1-(1/4))
Δtm = 35795716.69

Correct?

If this is correct, then it supports the fact that time dilation happens a lot more when matter approaches the speed of light. In this situation since speed of light is reduced to twice the average speed of a satellite, time dilation is less. Unless I did something wrong of course...

1. How is theoretical velocity different from actual velocity?

Theoretical velocity is a mathematical prediction of how fast an object should be moving in a given situation, based on certain assumptions and equations. Actual velocity, on the other hand, is the true measurement of an object's speed in a specific instance. Theoretical velocity is often used to make predictions and calculations, while actual velocity is the physical result that can be observed and measured.

2. What factors affect an object's theoretical velocity?

There are several factors that can affect an object's theoretical velocity, including its mass, acceleration, and the forces acting upon it. In order to accurately calculate theoretical velocity, all of these factors must be taken into account.

3. How is theoretical velocity used in scientific research?

Theoretical velocity is an important tool in scientific research as it allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of objects in different scenarios. It is often used in fields such as physics and engineering to design experiments and understand the laws of motion.

4. Can theoretical velocity ever be achieved in real life?

In most cases, no. Theoretical velocity is based on ideal conditions and assumptions, which may not always hold true in the real world. However, in some cases, such as in the vacuum of space, an object may be able to achieve its theoretical velocity.

5. Is theoretical velocity the same as speed?

No, theoretical velocity and speed are not the same thing. While speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, theoretical velocity takes into account other factors such as acceleration and forces. In some cases, an object's speed may match its theoretical velocity, but in most cases, they will be different values.