How did Rutherford prepare the gold leaf for the gold leaf test?

In summary, Rutherford prepared the gold leaf for the gold leaf test by hammering a small piece of gold into a thin sheet, which was then cut into smaller squares and placed on a piece of mica. The mica was then mounted onto a metal frame and coated with a thin layer of oil to prevent the gold leaf from sticking to the frame. This allowed for the gold leaf to be easily manipulated and used in the gold leaf experiment, which ultimately led to the discovery of the atomic nucleus.
Hasal
How did Rutherford prepare the gold leaf for the gold leaf test (at that time)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Hasal said:
How did Rutherford prepare the gold leaf for the gold leaf test (at that time)
What have you found in your reading and research so far? Please post links to your sources. Thank you.

Also, is this question for schoolwork?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.What have you found in your reading and research so far? Please post links to your sources. Thank you.

Also, is this question for schoolwork?
Dear sir, I am a high school student, so this is for schoolwork.
While learning about Rutherford's gold leaf test in the study of atomic structure, I was taught that it was done by shining a beam of accelerated alpha rays on a gold leaf. Alpha rays can be blocked by air or by paper. So how did he make the thickness of the gold so small?(thikness of gold foil- 0.6 μm)

Is it possible to believe that the technology called gold beating has been used for this?
Thank you.

Gold beating:- https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/BF03215119.pdf

The experiment:-
https://www.vrlabacademy.com/NewsDe...World--Rutherford-s-Gold-Foil-Experiment.html

Hasal said:
Dear sir, I am a high school student, so this is for schoolwork.
Thank you; I've moved your thread to the schoolwork forums now.

Hasal said:
While learning about Rutherford's gold leaf test in the study of atomic structure, I was taught that it was done by shining a beam of accelerated alpha rays on a gold leaf. Alpha rays can be blocked by air or by paper.
Yes, so they used an evacuated tube for the experiments, it appears:
1689180070904.png

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2017/ph241/sivulka2/

Hasal said:
So how did he make the thickness of the gold so small?(thikness of gold foil- 0.6 μm)

Is it possible to believe that the technology called gold beating has been used for this?
That's an interesting question. I'm still looking for that information for that time period... :smile:

Likes Hasal
A book of Gold Leaf ("Dutch Metal") can be purchased from a lab equipment supplier for £17. I am not sure if Rutherford had to make it even thinner.

Likes Hasal
The original Geiger article can actually be found:
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/pdf/10.1098/rspa.1910.0038
Geiger comments on metals being "available" in different thicknesses, except tin, which was "available" in only one thickness. Suggesting that Geiger used foils prepared by others for other purposes, and was restricted to thicknesses others had chosen.

• Informative
Likes Hasal and berkeman
Hasal said:
Yes. This is very old tech.

Likes Hasal

1. How did Rutherford obtain the gold leaf for the gold leaf test?

Rutherford obtained the gold leaf by hammering a small piece of pure gold into a thin sheet. This process, known as goldbeating, creates extremely thin and delicate sheets of gold that are ideal for experiments.

2. What was the purpose of the gold leaf test?

The purpose of the gold leaf test was to investigate the structure of atoms and the behavior of particles within them. Rutherford used this test to study the scattering of alpha particles by gold atoms, which led to his discovery of the atomic nucleus.

3. How did Rutherford prepare the gold leaf for the test?

Rutherford prepared the gold leaf by cutting it into small squares and then coating them with a thin layer of oil. This helped to prevent the gold leaf from sticking together and allowed it to be easily handled during the experiment.

4. What equipment did Rutherford use for the gold leaf test?

Rutherford used a specialized apparatus called a gold leaf electroscope for the test. This device consisted of a glass jar with a metal rod attached to a gold leaf inside. When charged particles interacted with the gold leaf, it would move and indicate the presence of the particles.

5. How did Rutherford interpret the results of the gold leaf test?

Rutherford interpreted the results of the gold leaf test as evidence for the existence of a dense and positively charged nucleus within the atom. This discovery revolutionized the understanding of atomic structure and paved the way for further research and discoveries in the field of nuclear physics.