How did your teachers describe you as a student?

• Thread starter GiriBang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, Castillo was a brilliant student, but lazy and not very interested in school. He was the favorite of the lecturers and graduated first in his class, but was admitted to three other universities.
GiriBang
So, self explanatory title. How were you as a student?

Were you obedient?
Do you ask a lot of doubts or were you hesitant to ask doubts?
Were you the lecturers' favorite?
Which subject was your favorite?

Were you punctual?
Were you hard working?
Do you listen very seriously?
Have you slept?

I just completed 12th grade. So, as a school student.
I was the one who was the last to submit assignments and class notebooks. When it comes to listening, I either listen or sleep ie I concentrate to the classes I like eg Rotatory motion, Solid properties etc. And I sleep during organic chemistry.

Physics was obviously my favorite.
Some teachers liked me (3rd class teacher and 12th grade class teacher the most)

If you ask my teachers about me, most of them would say "Brilliant but lazy"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What difference can it make to you how OTHER people acted?

• Haha
Likes Lisa!
Once my maths teacher told me : "Castillo, don't lift your arm". I was asking doubts every moment, and I didn't realize I was being very tiresome. I was obedient, lazy, curious sometimes, a pain in the neck because of my constant questions sometimes... I remember with a longing for past times my inquiries when the physics teacher introduced differential calculus, or when maths teacher introduced the concept of limits of a function at one point. It was the '80s in Spain.

I craved compliments from authority so I behaved very well. Always on time, didn’t break the rules, tried my hardest to be polite and respectful. In fact, I was a bit of a tattle-tale in my elementary days before I realized that teachers found it annoying.

Likes mcastillo356
I tended to raise my hand and ask a lot of questions. To the point where it was evident even to me that this was interfering with the teaching process. So I had to make a conscious effort to refrain from doing so.

One of my fellow students once related that his algorithm for deciding when to start work on a comp sci assignment was to wait until the last moment and then begin. He had observed that my algorithm was apparently to wait until the last moment, wait one more day and then begin. I do not think I ever turned in an assignment late.

• Skeptical
Likes Frigus and etotheipi
I viewed college each semester at a time where each class was a part time job, all of which added up to my full time job - being a college student.

Each professor was the boss of the part time job. If I did well understanding and meeting their requirements, my odds of earning a good grade in their class was excellent. Some made understanding their requirements easier than others - and meeting some professor's requirements was easier than others. But the bottom line was - make all the bosses happy with my work - and the professors were my bosses.

I graduated 1st in my class (entire school, not just Physics department) and was admitted to grad school at MIT, Princeton, and Stanford.

Likes JD_PM, mcastillo356 and etotheipi
I would have probably fit in the "brilliant, but lazy" category, but what use is brilliance if it's not applied. I was lazy and I also wasn't interested in whatever it was unless it was English, physics or math. I was absent a lot. Expelled from two schools before gymnasium. Almost expelled during gymnasium. I won't get into the specifics, suffice to say there were some (very) detrimental habits involved.

I was a rebel as a teenager. I was left to my own devices as a kid (not that I would have had it any other way).

Likes mcastillo356
Just performed averagely during my secondary school year and even during the university studying physics.

Yet, my favourite subject at secondary school was not physics, although I am now at the physics department of my university. Physics, at that time, was never clearly explained; for example, I was confused about the difference between potential and potential difference when studying V=IR. Chemistry was my favourite, partly because its content mainly comes from the generalizations of experimental results. It means that it does not require as much conceptual explanation as physics.

Then, my view has changed at university. Physics becomes my favourite at university because it can offer much clearer explanation than chemistry.

I think this is not a good thing; when I do not understand something, I feel stressed and bad. But sometimes physics is just too difficult to understand! You can't understand everything taught at class!

I was a terrible student. I really didn't like school when I was younger. I enjoyed community college but, I never majored into anything. I went to the local technical school here and got a Millwright Pre-Apprenticeship certificate and I am looking for an apprenticeship.

mostly drunk :smile:

I was very lazy.

To be honest my school doesn't allow laziness; if you are lazy, your grade will be heavily dragged down and you will end up with 3rd honours. In that case it would be better to quit the university.

Competition here is huge, as in any other megacities. So people work very hard and you end up having needed to work hard as well...

I'm very lazy and stubborn.:cool:

1. How would you describe your academic performance as a student?

As a student, my academic performance was consistently strong. I excelled in all subjects and maintained a high GPA throughout my academic career.

2. Were you actively engaged in class discussions and activities?

Yes, I was very engaged in class discussions and activities. I enjoyed participating in class and always made an effort to contribute to discussions and group projects.

3. Did you have good relationships with your teachers?

I had excellent relationships with my teachers. I always respected them and valued their guidance and support. I also made an effort to communicate with them and seek help when needed.

4. How did you handle challenges and setbacks in your studies?

I handled challenges and setbacks in my studies by being persistent and determined. I sought help from my teachers and peers, and was always willing to put in extra effort to overcome any obstacles.

5. Were you a responsible and organized student?

Yes, I was a responsible and organized student. I prioritized my assignments and managed my time effectively to ensure I met all deadlines. I also kept my notes and materials well-organized to help me stay on top of my studies.