How Do Charges Transfer and Affect Coulombic Forces?

In summary, when a third identical ball is brought into contact with one of the two charged balls, the charge is evenly distributed between the two, reducing the original charge of the first ball by half. This results in a halving of the attractive force between the two charged balls. The same process is repeated for the second ball, resulting in a further reduction of the attractive force by half.
paperdoll

Homework Statement

I don't understand how to apply coulombs law when there are 3 balls, giving each other charge. I know that the answer for part a) is 0.02N and part b) is 0.005 N but have no idea how to get these answers.

Homework Equations

Two identical plastic balls A and B with a metallic coating are given identical but opposite charges and placed a fixed distance apart. There is found to be an attractive force of 0.04N between them. A third identical, but initially uncharged ball, C is now brought into contact with ball A and then removed.
a) what will be the force between A and B now
b) if ball c, still with the charge it obtained from ball a is now brought into contact with ball b and then removed, what will the force be between a and b now?

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) I tried substituting -1 and +1 for the charge but I still don't understand how the ball's A and C have transferred charge.
And for part b) I need to understand how to get part a) first

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of charge distribution.

When you first touch ball C to ball A, some of the charge from ball A will be distributed through C.

How much do you think that would be proportionally if ball C is initially uncharged?

NewtonianAlch said:
Think of charge distribution.

When you first touch ball C to ball A, some of the charge from ball A will be distributed through C.

How much do you think that would be proportionally if ball C is initially uncharged?

erm...hmm when you first touch ball A to C would the total charge from A half-out with C? so now both ball is the same charge? I'm not sure if electricity works in the same way as heating and cooling :confused:

paperdoll said:
erm...hmm when you first touch ball A to C would the total charge from A half-out with C? so now both ball is the same charge? I'm not sure if electricity works in the same way as heating and cooling :confused:

Yes, the charges would evenly distribute themselves over the connection made by touching.

NewtonianAlch said:
Yes, the charges would evenly distribute themselves over the connection made by touching.

so now that both balls are the same charge, the charge of the ball A is halfed? so that's why the 0.04 N --> 0.02 N for part a) of the question

Yeah

F=(1/(4∏ε))*(q1*q2/r2)

so when q1 is halved, F is halved

say A had and original charge of q0

A and C now have a charge of 1/2 q0

C touches B the total charge on both is q0 + 1/2 q0 as equal surface area
=> evenly distributed again, then sub into your formula

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a basic principle in physics that explains the relationship between electric charges and the force between them. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law was discovered by French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb in 1785. He performed experiments with charged objects to determine the mathematical relationship between electric charges and the force between them.

3. How is Coulomb's Law calculated?

Coulomb's Law is calculated using the equation F = k(q1q2) / r2, where F is the force between the two charges, k is the proportionality constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, and r is the distance between them.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric charges in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for electric charges in Coulomb's Law is the Coulomb (C). One Coulomb is equal to the charge of 6.24 x 1018 protons or electrons.

5. How does distance affect the force between two charged particles in Coulomb's Law?

Distance is inversely proportional to the force between two charged particles in Coulomb's Law. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law, where the force is proportional to 1/r2.