How Do Core Construction and Amp-Turns Affect Transformer Performance?

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's attempts at making a transformer and their observations on its performance. They mentioned using straight rods and toroidal cores, with the latter having better results. The importance of using a laminated core was also highlighted, as well as the caution needed when working with mains electricity. The suggestion to study and dismantle a real transformer was also given.
SMD1990
Off and on, I have been messing with making a little transformer. My first attempt was last winter.

They never seem to really work very well.

Is there any sort of rule regarding the amp-turns needed around a core with a particular permeability?

My earliest attempts used a straight rod. More recently, I have been winding around toroidial cores. Typically, the greater of my windings has a hundred or more turns.

Strangely, one of my early "straight rod" attempts has actually provided to have best performance, thus far.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would suggest you to break-apart a real transformer and work your way backward.
For Best performance, you need to use striped iron forming a closed loop.
But always be careful when playing with the mains.

More recently, I have been winding around toroidial cores
The construction of the core is critical. For decent performance it has to be laminated such that no induced current is able to circulate in the plane perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic flux.

Related to How Do Core Construction and Amp-Turns Affect Transformer Performance?

What is a transformer?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through the process of electromagnetic induction.

What are the main components of a transformer?

The main components of a transformer are the primary and secondary windings, a core made of laminated steel, and an insulating material to prevent the windings from touching each other.

How do I determine the required voltage and current for my transformer?

The required voltage and current for a transformer can be determined by using the equation Vp/Vs = Np/Ns, where Vp is the primary voltage, Vs is the secondary voltage, Np is the number of turns in the primary winding, and Ns is the number of turns in the secondary winding.

What safety precautions should I take when making a transformer?

When making a transformer, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to work in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to follow proper handling and disposal procedures for any chemicals or materials used in the process.

How can I test my transformer to ensure it is working properly?

To test a transformer, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current output. You can also perform a load test by connecting a load to the secondary winding and measuring the output. It is also important to check for any signs of overheating, such as a burning smell or discoloration, which could indicate a problem with the transformer.