How do freezing bubbles form and why are they so mesmerizing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the interesting process of freezing bubbles from the top and bottom to meet in the middle. There is curiosity about the delicacy of the frozen bubbles and the specific bubble mix used, with mention of glycerin as a potential anti-freeze. One person brings up a recent study on bubbles in freezing temperatures, suggesting it would be a fun job to research.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
this is pretty cool ( pun intended)

Dave

Likes OmCheeto and Borg
Physics news on Phys.org
interesting how it freezes from the top and the bottom to meet in the middle rather than just freezing all over

I was hoping someone would pick it up at the end. I wonder how delicate it is. Also wonder exactly what bubble mix they used. A lot of people use glycerin in their bubble recipe, which has an application as an anti-freeze.

Likes davenn
zoobyshoe said:
I was hoping someone would pick it up at the end. I wonder how delicate it is. Also wonder exactly what bubble mix they used. A lot of people use glycerin in their bubble recipe, which has an application as an anti-freeze.

I think regular bubbles work just fine. I cannot remember the location, but I do remember reading very recently about a group of scientists actually doing long-term 'research' on bubbles in freezing temperatures! That would be a fun job!

Some more variety on the topic:

Likes beamie564

1. What causes bubbles to freeze?

Bubbles freeze when the water molecules inside the bubble cool down rapidly, causing them to crystalize and form ice. This happens when the temperature drops below freezing.

2. Can any type of bubble solution be used for freezing bubbles?

No, not all bubble solutions are suitable for freezing bubbles. The solution needs to have a low freezing point and contain a high amount of glycerin or corn syrup to make the bubbles more durable.

3. How cold does it need to be for bubbles to freeze?

The temperature needs to be below freezing, typically around 20 degrees Fahrenheit or lower, for bubbles to freeze. The colder the temperature, the faster the bubbles will freeze.

4. How do you make bubbles that won't pop when frozen?

To make bubbles that won't pop when frozen, the bubble solution needs to have a high concentration of glycerin or corn syrup. These ingredients help make the bubbles more durable and less likely to pop when they freeze.

5. Are there any tips for successfully freezing bubbles?

Yes, there are a few tips for successfully freezing bubbles. Make sure the bubble solution is at room temperature before using it, and try blowing the bubbles onto a cold surface, such as a frozen lake or a piece of ice, to help them freeze faster. Also, try to avoid touching the frozen bubbles with your hands, as the warmth from your skin can cause them to melt quickly.