How Do Friction and Tension Affect Motion in Physics Problems?

In summary: Rearrange this equation to get...x = \frac{v^2}{2g\mu}Substituting in the given values, we get...x = \frac{(25m/s)^2}{2(9.81m/s^2)(0.09)} = 354mIn summary, to calculate the distance a 200 gram puck will slide on ice with a friction of 0.09 kinetic when shot at 25m/s, we can use the equation x = (v^2)/(2g*mu), which gives us a distance of 354m.
newphysicist

Homework Statement

q1: A hockey player shoots a 200 gram puck at 25m/s. the ice has a friction of 0.09 kinetic.
how far will the puck slide before it comes to a rest?

q2: A train has 3 cars, mc, mb, and ma. The acceleration of the train is 1.54 m/s^2. ma has a mass for 10kg, mb a mass of 35kg, mc has a mass of 20kg.The force of the train is 100 N forward.
Note: No friction in part a and b!
<mc-mb-ma> <-train going east
a) Calculate the tension force between ma and mb as well as the tension force between mb and mc.
b)Also calculate the braking force of the train if it is moving at 20 m/s when the brakes are suddenly applied. if it takes 23m to stop, calculate the braking force.
c) (with friction) If the coefficent of kinetic friction is equal to 0.10, calculate the engine force required to keep the train moving at a constant velocity. there are only frictional forces on car b and c.
d)Calculate the engine force that is required to accelerate the train at a rate of 1.0m/s^2[E]

Homework Equations

d=vf^2 - vi^2 / 2a(i think?)
f=ma
a=fnet/mass

The Attempt at a Solution

For q2 I'm not too sure about. I did 45(35+10) * 1.54 for ma-mb, and the same format for the next part. both answers, however, are wrong. can someone please help me through the steps?
For q1, i figured out the normal force was 1962 (200g * 9.81). The Force of friction would be 176.58 (1962 x 0.09) -25 since Fn and Fg cancel out. my acceleration from this was 151.58/200=0.7579
i put it into the kinematic eq d=vf^2 - vi^2 / 2a and got 236.84m, or 200m with significant digits. The correct answer is 354m. I am not sure how they got that answer, please explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question remember that the work done is equal to the change in kinetic energy, friction is the only force doing any work which means...
[tex]
mg\mu x = \frac{1}{2}mv^2
[/tex]
Where m is the mass of the puck, g is the acceleration of gravity on earth, [itex]\mu[/itex] is the coefficient of friction, x is the distance traveled and v is the initial velocity of your puck.

Last edited:

Related to How Do Friction and Tension Affect Motion in Physics Problems?

What is the difference between kinematic forces and tension?

Kinematic forces refer to the forces that act on an object due to its motion, while tension is a specific type of force that is created by pulling or stretching an object.

How is tension calculated in a system?

Tension can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In a system with tension, the net force would be equal to the sum of all the individual tension forces acting on the object.

What are some real-world examples of kinematic forces?

Some common examples of kinematic forces include friction, air resistance, and gravity. For instance, when a car is moving on a road, it experiences friction between its tires and the road surface, and air resistance as it moves through the air.

How do kinematic forces affect an object's motion?

Kinematic forces can either increase or decrease an object's motion. For instance, if an object experiences a net force in the opposite direction of its motion, it will slow down. On the other hand, if the net force is in the same direction as its motion, the object will accelerate.

How does tension play a role in engineering and construction?

In engineering and construction, tension is used to create stable structures, such as bridges and buildings. It is also an important factor in determining the strength and stability of materials used in these structures. Engineers must carefully consider tension forces in their designs to ensure the safety and longevity of the structure.