How Do Gear Ratios Affect Stepper Motor Performance in Lock Systems?

In summary: If this assumption is incorrect then there is a problem with the gear ratio or the construction of the gear train.
AC130

Homework Statement

The number of teeth in the dial gear of the combination lock system is 40
The number of teeth in the stepper motor gear of the combination lock system is 10
The number of teeth in the dial-stepper connecting wheel of the combination lock system is 80

1) What are the gear ratios between the motor/wheel and motor/dial?
2) If the dial is turned one complete revolution, how many turns do you get on the stepper motor shaft?
3) What is the number of steps in the stepper motor for one complete revolution of the dial?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt on question 1

Ratio between motor/wheel = 10/80 = 0.125
Ratio between motor/dial = 10/40 = 0.25
Hence ratio between motor/wheel and motor/dial = 0.125/0.25 = 0.5

Attempt on question 2
40/10 = 4 turns

Attempt on question 3
Step angle = 360/steps per revolution = 360/4 = 90°/step

This step angle seems very high as usually a step angle is something like 1.8°/step so does that mean that this step angle is wrong?
Can someone please check if these calculations are right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume this is a simple gear train, no shared shafts.
Think again about how you calculated the number of steps per revolution. And be clear about which gear the steps are on and which gear is making the revolution.

haruspex said:
I assume this is a simple gear train, no shared shafts.
Think again about how you calculated the number of steps per revolution. And be clear about which gear the steps are on and which gear is making the revolution.

Yes there aren't any shared shafts
I am quite unsure as to how I can calculate the number of steps per revolution from the information given.

I know that If I knew the step angle then I could just divide 360 by the step angle to find the steps per revolution

AC130 said:
Yes there aren't any shared shafts
I am quite unsure as to how I can calculate the number of steps per revolution from the information given.

I know that If I knew the step angle then I could just divide 360 by the step angle to find the steps per revolution
I realize I'm making an assumption which might not be correct, but if it is not correct then there is not enough information: I assume that one step of the stepper motor equals one tooth of the stepper motor gear.

Related to How Do Gear Ratios Affect Stepper Motor Performance in Lock Systems?

What is a stepper motor?

A stepper motor is an electro-mechanical device that converts electrical pulses into precise rotational movements. It is commonly used in automation and robotics applications.

How does a stepper motor work?

A stepper motor works by using a series of electromagnetic coils to attract and repel a permanent magnet, causing it to rotate in small steps. The direction and speed of rotation are determined by the sequence of electrical pulses sent to the coils.

What are the advantages of using a stepper motor?

Stepper motors offer precise control over movement, with the ability to rotate in small increments. They also have a high torque-to-size ratio and do not require feedback sensors. Additionally, they can maintain their position even when power is turned off.

How do I choose the right stepper motor for my project?

When choosing a stepper motor, you should consider factors such as the required torque and speed, the operating voltage and current, and the physical size and weight limitations of your project. It is also important to select a motor with the appropriate step angle for your application.

Can stepper motors be controlled using different methods?

Yes, stepper motors can be controlled using various methods such as open-loop control, closed-loop control, and microstepping. Open-loop control involves sending a sequence of pulses to the motor without feedback, while closed-loop control uses feedback sensors to ensure accurate movement. Microstepping is a technique that allows for smoother and more precise movements by dividing the steps into smaller increments.