How do I add S/R configuration to this?

In summary, the problem is to determine the S/R configurations of each chiral center in a compound with non-sequential atomic numbers. The procedure involves rotating the molecule so the lowest priority group is pointing away, and then looking at the arrangement of the groups with priority #1-3. If they are arranged clockwise, the stereocenter is R, and if counterclockwise, the stereocenter is S. Building a physical model can help with visualization and rotation.
stratz
Edit by Mentor: thread moved from the other forum, hence no template used.

IMG_20170211_115259.jpg

The problem tells me to determine the S/R configurations of each chiral center in the compound, which I have drawn in the picture above. As you can see the numbers assigned by atomic # are not in order. How would I go about determining configuration in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Follow the procedure described here: http://web.chem.ucla.edu/~harding/tutorials/stereochem/r_s.html (you've already completed step #1, not just move onto steps #2 and 3).

Basically, you rotate the molecule so that the group with the lowest priority (#4) is pointing away from you. Then you look at the arrangement of the groups with priority #1-3. If these are arranged in a clockwise manner (i.e. you move clockwise going form #1 to #2 to #3) then the stereocenter is R. If they arranged in a counterclockwise manner, then the stereocenter is S.

If you have trouble visualizing and rotating the stereocenter in your head, try building a physical model that you can rotate for yourself.

following on from what was said previously, you've basically already done it with your drawing, as the H (lowest priority group) is pointing away from you.

1. How do I add S/R configuration to this?

To add S/R configuration, you will need to first identify the specific system or software you are working with. Then, you can refer to the documentation or user manual for instructions on how to add S/R configuration. If you are still unsure, you can reach out to the manufacturer or a technical support team for assistance.

2. Do I need any special tools or equipment to add S/R configuration?

In most cases, you will not need any special tools or equipment to add S/R configuration. However, depending on the system or software, you may need to have certain permissions or access levels to make changes to the configuration. It is always best to check the documentation or consult with a technical expert for specific requirements.

3. Is it necessary to add S/R configuration?

In some cases, adding S/R configuration may be necessary for the proper functioning of a system or software. However, it may not always be necessary and could depend on your specific needs or preferences. It is important to understand the purpose and potential impact of adding S/R configuration before making any changes.

4. What are the benefits of adding S/R configuration?

Adding S/R configuration can offer several benefits, such as increased efficiency, improved performance, and better customization options. It can also help with troubleshooting and resolving issues within a system or software. However, the specific benefits will depend on the system or software and the changes made to the configuration.

5. Can I revert back to the original configuration after adding S/R configuration?

In most cases, it is possible to revert back to the original configuration after adding S/R configuration. However, it is always recommended to back up the original configuration before making any changes. This will ensure that you can easily revert back if needed. Additionally, make sure to carefully follow the instructions and only make changes that you understand and are comfortable with.