Oxidation state and chiral configurations

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of oxidation states and configurations for a molecule found on a website. There is a discrepancy in the answers given and the understanding of priorities in determining configurations. However, the correct answers for the oxidation states are +5 for Phosphorous and -3 for Nitrogen, and the chiral center configuration for the bottom right carbon attached to the OH group should be R. The conversation also suggests using a Fisher Projection to determine configurations.
Puchinita5
I'm doing this same problem found on the following link for a biochemistry homework.

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/nucleoside-phosphorothioates-synthetic-nucleotide-analogs-used-enzymology-molecular-biolog-q1481931

My question is regarding both finding the oxidation states as well as finding the absolute configurations.

I am told in my lecture notes that to find the oxidation state you take "the number of bonds the atom forms with more electronegative atoms less the number of the bonds that it forms with less electronegative atoms. The charge should be added to this sum."

However, I am not getting the same answers as given here and so I'm not sure if the person who answered this is wrong or if I'm wrong. But, for example, the first Phosphorous I would have calculated the oxidation state to be +5 since it makes two bonds with Sulfur (which is more electronegative) and then 3 bonds with the oxygens. Is this not correct?

And for the number 2 labeled Nitrogen, I would have calculated the oxidation state to be -3 since it is bonded to three carbons which are less electronegative.

When figuring out the chiral center configurations I'm not getting the same answers as given either, and I'm assuming this has to do with my understanding of priorities.

For example, the bottom right carbon of attached to the OH group, I would have given R configuration because the carbon to the right of this chiral center is attached to an O and an N whereas the other carbon is attached to an O and a C. So the OH group would get priority 1, the carbon to the right priority 2, and the carbon to the left priority 3. This would give a counter clockwise motion, but since the hydrogen is coming out of the page I would flip it to R configuration instead of S.

Am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
OS of Phosphorous = +5
OS of Nitrogen = -2. It is only bonded to 2 Carbon Atoms, as far as I can see the molecule.

As for Chiral centre, lookout for sp3 hybrid C-atom (C with 4 valencies) and make sure that all of the 4 valencies are unique. Also, to determine the configuration, try making their Fisher Projection. It is tough, but try it once.

Puchinita5 said:
And for the number 2 labeled Nitrogen, I would have calculated the oxidation state to be -3 since it is bonded to three carbons which are less electronegative.
That's what I get too. Actually you should say it is bonded to carbon three times rather than to three carbons.

Puchinita5 said:
For example, the bottom right carbon of attached to the OH group, I would have given R configuration because the carbon to the right of this chiral center is attached to an O and an N whereas the other carbon is attached to an O and a C. So the OH group would get priority 1, the carbon to the right priority 2, and the carbon to the left priority 3. This would give a counter clockwise motion, but since the hydrogen is coming out of the page I would flip it to R configuration instead of S.

C > N

Chemisttree, are you saying that carbon attached to an O and C should have higher priority because C is higher priority than Nitrogen? I thought highest priority is given to atoms with higher atomic weight, and Nitrogen has a greater atomic weight than carbon.

C > N is wrong. You have it right and the answer should be R.

1. What is oxidation state?

Oxidation state, also known as oxidation number, is a measure of the degree of oxidation of an atom in a chemical compound. It represents the number of electrons that an atom has gained or lost in order to form a chemical bond.

2. How is oxidation state determined?

Oxidation state is determined by analyzing the electronegativity and valence of the elements in a compound. The electronegativity difference between two elements can indicate the transfer of electrons, which determines the oxidation state.

3. What is the significance of oxidation state in chemistry?

Oxidation state is important in understanding the reactivity and properties of chemical compounds. It can also determine the type of chemical bonds formed and the overall stability of a compound.

4. What is the difference between enantiomers and diastereomers?

Enantiomers are chiral molecules that are mirror images of each other and cannot be superimposed, while diastereomers are non-mirror image stereoisomers that have multiple chiral centers. Enantiomers have the same physical and chemical properties, while diastereomers have different properties.

5. How does chirality affect the biological activity of molecules?

Chirality plays a crucial role in the biological activity of molecules. In many cases, only one enantiomer of a chiral molecule is biologically active, while the other enantiomer may be inactive or even toxic. This is because enzymes and receptors in the body are often chiral and can only interact with one specific enantiomer.