How do I calculate capacitance on an LC circuit?

• Thread starter jim the duke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the conversation is about trying to calculate capacitance on an LC circuit. The relevant equations given are for solenoid inductance, current, charge on capacitor, and energy in oscillations. The person is looking for an equation for capacitance and is struggling to find one that ties in with the given information. They also discuss the expressions for energy stored in an inductor and a capacitor.
jim the duke

Homework Statement

Trying to calculate capacitance on an LC circuit

Homework Equations

L = 1.0H (solenoid inductance)
i = 3.0 Ma (current in circuit)
Q = 30μC (charge on capacitor)
E = 4.5μJ (energy in oscillations)

The Attempt at a Solution

All I'm after is an equation for capacitance that i can use with the given information
I know that V=IR and I=Q/T and C=Q/V but none of these tie in what I'm trying to achieve.
Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy in oscillations means what??

Energy stored in the oscillations of the solenoid.

Which is 0.5 Li2 or something else...do u know the expression for the energy...if i am wrong.

Sorry you've lost me

I didn't get you...

jim the duke said:

Homework Equations

L = 1.0H (solenoid inductance)
i = 3.0 Ma (current in circuit)
Q = 30μC (charge on capacitor)
E = 4.5μJ (energy in oscillations)

Are these "Relevant Equations" for i,Q,E maximal values, or values at some particular instant of time?

Can you write the expressions for the energy stored in an inductor given the current flowing through it? How about the energy stored in a capacitor given the charge stored on it?

Vcap (t) = (q(t))/C
Eel = ½ CV2
EMF = Vbat – L (di(t))/dt
f = 1/(2π√LC)

What is capacitance and why is it important?

Capacitance is a measure of the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is an important concept in physics and engineering as it plays a crucial role in how electronic devices function.

How is capacitance calculated?

Capacitance is calculated by dividing the amount of electric charge stored by the potential difference across the system. It is represented by the equation C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage.

What factors affect capacitance?

The capacitance of a system is affected by several factors, including the distance between the two conductors, the surface area of the conductors, and the material between the conductors. Additionally, capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the conductors and directly proportional to the surface area of the conductors.

How do you calculate the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated by using the formula C = ε0A/d, where C is capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

What are some real-life applications of capacitance?

Capacitance has many practical applications, including in electronic devices such as computers and smartphones, in power transmission and distribution systems, and in sensors and transducers. It is also used in energy storage systems, such as in capacitors and batteries.