How Do I Calculate Coulomb's Law for Fractional Electrical Charges?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the calculation of the Coulomb force using the formula F=K* (qa*qb / r2). The speaker is uncertain about how to input the charge values (+2/3) into the equation and asks for clarification on the units of charge. The expert explains that the charge is measured in Coulombs and provides the formula for calculating the force.
robertroman10
The law I am talking about is F=K* (qa*qb / r2) I know the values of all but I have a question on the q's which represent the electrical charges...
If the charge is +2/3 do I plug in the fraction 2/3 in the q's spot? is this the numerical number I use? PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
robertroman10 said:
The law I am talking about is F=K* (qa*qb / r2) I know the values of all but I have a question on the q's which represent the electrical charges...
If the charge is +2/3 do I plug in the fraction 2/3 in the q's spot? is this the numerical number I use? PLEASE HELP!
Are you trying to find the coulomb force between two charges of +2e/3?

AM

Yess

OK, so what unit is charge measured in? How much is e in those units? So how much then is 2/3e?

robertroman10 said:

If both of the charges are +2/3 C, then you just plug in the charges for q

F = KQQ / R^2
F = (8.98e9)(2/3)^2 / R^2

The units for charge are Coulombs.

Last edited:
ok thanks

1. How do you calculate Coulomb's law?

To calculate Coulomb's law, you use the formula F = (k * q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the force between two charged objects, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. What is the value of Coulomb's constant?

The value of Coulomb's constant, denoted by k, is 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. It is a fundamental constant in electrostatics and is used to calculate the force between two charged objects.

3. What units are used in Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law uses the SI units of Newtons (N) for force, meters (m) for distance, and Coulombs (C) for electric charge. The value of Coulomb's constant is also expressed in these units.

4. How does distance affect the force in Coulomb's law?

As distance increases between two charged objects, the force between them decreases. This is because the inverse square relationship in the formula (F = 1/r^2) means that the force decreases exponentially as distance increases.

5. Can Coulomb's law be used for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's law can be used for both positive and negative charges. The direction of the force will depend on the types of charges (positive-positive, negative-negative, or positive-negative) and the direction of the force will be along the line connecting the two charges.