How do I calculate density given height and volume?

In summary: I had always assumed that the trees were named after him because of their height.In summary, the conversation is about trying to calculate the mass of the Hyperion tree, which is the world's tallest tree. The conversation discusses using the density and volume of the tree to calculate its mass, but the density cannot be found. It is suggested to look up the density of a generic tree or search for the density of the specific tree, which is a Giant Redwood. It is also mentioned that Google can easily do the conversion for you.
Godzilla-3301
I’m trying to calculate how many Joules are stored in the Hyperion tree, the worlds tallest (115.84 m). However, I cannot find the mass of said tree, and am trying to find it by multiplying density by the volume (530 m^3) because if p=m/V then p•V=m, but I cannot find the density of the tree, so how can I find density given height and volume, if it’s possible?
D09E35A7-71FE-46CE-9F45-CCF943AF5F6D.jpeg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
One could also find whether it’s a hardwood or softwood and further estimate the density.

Lastly, if there’s any lumber store featuring this wood, you might find the weight of a given plank and compute the density from it.

jedishrfu said:
I found the tree is a redwood
But what kind of redwood? :oldbiggrin: The three species I know of are Sequoia sempervirens (Coast redwood), Sequoiadendron giganteum (Giant redwood), and Metasequoia glyptostroboides (Dawn redwood).

The Hyperion tree of this thread is almost certainly a Giant Redwood, a type of redwood found in the Sierra Nevada Range of California, especially in Sequoia National Park. The Coast Redwood is found mostly along the coast of Northern California. The Dawn Redwood, which was a new one to me, is found in China.

As a sidenote, I found it interesting that the "sequoia" part of their names is in honor of Sequoyah, a Cherokee who was responsible for the syllabary of that language.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is the formula for calculating density?

The formula for calculating density is density = mass / volume. This means that to calculate density, you need to know the mass of the object and its volume.

2. Can I use any units for height and volume?

Yes, you can use any units for height and volume as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use meters for height, you should also use meters for volume.

3. How do I convert units for height and volume?

To convert units for height and volume, you can use conversion factors. For example, if you need to convert centimeters to meters, you can multiply the value in centimeters by 0.01 to get the value in meters.

4. What if I only have the density and the volume?

If you only have the density and the volume, you can rearrange the formula to solve for mass. The formula would be mass = density * volume. Once you have the mass, you can use it to calculate the height.

5. Can I use this formula for any type of material?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of material as long as the mass and volume are measured accurately. However, keep in mind that the density of a material may vary depending on its temperature and pressure.