How Do I Calculate Gravitational Force Between Two Objects?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem where the gravitational force of attraction between a 46.0 kg girl and a 52.0 kg boy sitting 3.0 m apart needs to be approximated. The formula being used is [(m1m2/r^2)]G=Fg, and the person initially made a mistake by using m1 + m2 instead of m1 * m2. After realizing this, they tried again with the correct formula but were unsure if there was something else they were missing. They only have one more attempt to solve the problem correctly.
hshphyss
Can anyone help me with this problem?

Approximate the gravitational force of attraction between a 46.0 kg girl and a 52.0 kg boy if they are sitting 3.0 m apart in physics class.

Since the formula is [(m1m2/r^2)]G=Fg. So I first tried [(46+52)/3^2]6.67e-11 and I got 7.27e-10. Then when the answer didn't work I thought maybe I was given the diamter, so i divided by 2, so I [(46+52)/1.5^2]6.67e-11, and I got 2.91e-8 and that was wrong to. I only have one more submission left to get this problem right, if you could help me it would be grately appreciated. Is there somthing special I need to do that I am missing? Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
m1m2 = m1 * m2, not m1 + m2

yeah that's what i did wrong... thank-you

Last edited:

Related to How Do I Calculate Gravitational Force Between Two Objects?

1. What is Universal Gravitation?

Universal Gravitation is a fundamental law of physics that describes the gravitational force between two objects. It states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered Universal Gravitation?

Universal Gravitation was discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century. He developed the theory after observing the motion of the planets and their moons, and realizing that the same force that causes objects to fall to the ground also keeps the planets in orbit around the sun.

3. How does distance affect the strength of gravitational force?

The strength of gravitational force decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This is known as the inverse square law, which means that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects. In simpler terms, the further apart two objects are, the weaker the gravitational force between them will be.

4. Can two objects with the same mass have different gravitational forces?

Yes, two objects with the same mass can have different gravitational forces if they are at different distances from a third object. According to the law of universal gravitation, the closer an object is to another object, the stronger the gravitational force will be. So, even if two objects have the same mass, their gravitational forces can vary depending on their distance from a third object.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its gravitational force?

The mass of an object directly affects its gravitational force. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational force will be. This means that larger objects, such as planets and stars, have a stronger gravitational force compared to smaller objects, such as asteroids. Additionally, the more massive an object is, the more it will be affected by the gravitational force of other objects.