How do I calculate net force given two force vectors and other parameters?

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of net force given two two-dimensional velocities, time, and mass. The question was whether to provide the total vector value or simply state the two vectors. The conclusion was that including both options is possible, but the preferred answer would be the vector value.
synergix

Homework Statement

I am given two two dimensional velocities one final one initial and the time taken for the velocity of the object to change. I am also given the mass and asked to calculate net force.

The calculations are very easy but when asked for the net force am I supposed to give the whole vector value or simply state the two vectors? I am pretty sure I must state the total vector value but I'm not positive.

so either

F= (11.25N i)+(-22.5N j)

or

F= sqrt((11.2Ni)^2+(-22.5Nj)^2)= 25.16

Physics news on Phys.org
I would go with the vector answer. Nothing wrong with including both if that is possible.

Ok thanks

Related to How do I calculate net force given two force vectors and other parameters?

What is net force and how is it calculated?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account any opposing forces. It can be calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on the object using vector addition.

What are force vectors and how are they represented?

Force vectors are arrows used to represent the direction and magnitude of a force. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the force, and the direction of the arrow indicates the direction in which the force is acting.

How do you find the net force when given multiple force vectors?

To find the net force, you need to add together all the individual force vectors by using vector addition. This involves breaking down each force vector into its horizontal and vertical components, adding together the horizontal and vertical components separately, and then combining them to get the net force vector.

What does a zero net force indicate?

A zero net force means that all the forces acting on an object are balanced and cancel each other out. This results in no acceleration or movement of the object.

How does the direction of the net force affect an object's motion?

The direction of the net force determines the direction in which an object will accelerate. If the net force is in the same direction as the object's velocity, it will speed up. If the net force is in the opposite direction, it will slow down. If the net force is perpendicular to the object's motion, it will change the direction of its motion.