How do I calculate the expected Gain?

The gain over the inductor is calculated by adding the gain of the inductor and the gain of its internal resistance.In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment with AC RLC circuits and the inclusion of internal resistance in the circuit diagram. The reason for including it in series is because the current through the inductor and its internal resistance is the same. The magnitude of impedance includes the gain of the inductor and its internal resistance, and the equation for calculating the gain is 20Log((XL+(internal Resistance))/Z).
CSunderman
TL;DR Summary
I am doing an experiment in electronics with AC RLC circuits, But there are a few things about what I need to do that I don't understand.
What is The gain equation for an inductor with internal resistance .
Why is the internal resistance in series.
I am doing an experiment in electronics with AC RLC circuits, But there are a few things about what I need to do that I don't understand.
First: While I know in the circuit diagram we include the internal resistance of the Inductor in series, but I don't know why we include it in series rather than in parallel.
Second: The Magnitude of the impedance should be Sqrt(R^2+(Internal R)^2+(wL-(1/wc))^2,
but what should I be using for the gain over the inductor, since it has two components to its gain should I add them when calculating the dBnof the inductor, or is there a more complicated combination .
I.E should the equation be 20Log((XL+(internal Resistance))/Z)
Thanks for help.
for reference: Capacitative Reactance=Xc. Inductive reactance=XL, resistance=R, Total impedance=Z

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
We use the internal resistance in series with the (ideal) inductor because the current through the inductor is the same as the current through its internal resistance. When the currents are the same the components are in series.

1. How do I calculate expected gain using a formula?

Expected gain can be calculated using the formula: expected gain = (probability of gain) x (amount of gain). This formula takes into account the likelihood of gaining a certain amount and multiplies it by the potential gain to determine the expected gain.

2. What factors should be considered when calculating expected gain?

When calculating expected gain, it is important to consider the probability of gaining a certain amount, the potential gain, and any potential costs or risks associated with the gain. It is also important to consider the time frame in which the gain is expected to occur.

3. How do I determine the probability of gain?

The probability of gain can be determined by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of outcomes. For example, if there are 5 favorable outcomes out of 10 total outcomes, the probability of gain would be 5/10 or 0.5.

4. Can expected gain be negative?

Yes, expected gain can be negative. This means that there is a higher likelihood of losing money rather than gaining money. It is important to consider the potential risks and costs associated with a gain when calculating expected gain.

5. How can expected gain be used in decision making?

Expected gain can be a useful tool in decision making as it helps to determine the potential outcome of a certain action or investment. By calculating the expected gain, individuals can weigh the potential risks and benefits and make informed decisions based on the expected outcome.