How do I calculate the forces on a guitar stand (Tripod type)

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a bass guitar stand using wood. The speaker plans to base the design on a provided image and make modifications to increase the height of the legs and add an attachable weight for stability. The main design criteria are to prevent the stand from falling over, collapsing, swaying, or causing the guitar to fall off with light bumps or touches. The speaker also suggests starting with a sketch for analysis and proposes that the force on each leg should be equal if the base is an equilateral triangle.
Xeno777
I want to build a bass guitar stand for my guitar using wood, I'm modelling it after the image shown. The alterations I'm making are to increase the height of the legs , to place an attachable weight below the stand . This will allow the stand to have a lower center of mass and will greatly reduce the stand from falling over when pushed.

Attachments

• 451058000001000-00-500x500.jpg
    451058000001000-00-500x500.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 431
Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculating forces on a guitar stand is overthinking the problem. The real design criteria is not the weight of the guitar, but:
1) It should not fall over if somebody lightly bumps it.
2) It should not collapse if somebody lightly leans on it.
3) It should not sway back and forth too much if somebody touches it.
4) The guitar should not fall off if it is lightly bumped.
5) etc.

In any case, start with a sketch showing what you want it to look like. Analysis needs a starting point. In this case, the sketch is your starting point.

If the base is an equilateral triangle I would suggest the force on each leg should be the same (eg a third of the weight on each leg). If not that would imply the centre of gravity wasn't in the centre. If the centre of gravity/mass isn't in the centre it's more likely to fall in one direction.

1. How do I determine the weight of the guitar stand?

The weight of the guitar stand can be determined by using a scale or by looking at the product specifications provided by the manufacturer.

2. What are the different types of forces acting on a guitar stand?

The main forces acting on a guitar stand are gravity, tension, and compression. Gravity pulls the stand downwards, tension keeps the stand from collapsing, and compression helps distribute the weight of the guitar evenly on the stand.

3. How do I calculate the tension force on a guitar stand?

The tension force on a guitar stand can be calculated by using the formula T = mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the guitar, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

4. How can I determine the center of mass of a guitar stand?

The center of mass of a guitar stand can be determined by balancing the stand on a pivot point and finding the point where it remains balanced. This point is the center of mass.

5. What factors can affect the stability of a guitar stand?

The stability of a guitar stand can be affected by factors such as the weight and shape of the guitar, the design and construction of the stand, the surface it is placed on, and any external forces acting on it (e.g. wind). It is important to choose a sturdy and well-designed stand to ensure stability and prevent accidents.