How do I calculate the Impact Force of an object?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the impact force of an object with given mass and velocity. However, without knowing the depth of the impact crater, it is not possible to accurately calculate the force. The conversation also mentions that the object is colliding with the moon at a high speed and that the person asking the question is struggling with math and their tutors. The conversation ends with the suggestion to post the question in the homework section or to provide a more specific problem statement.
CitizenSentry
Okay so as you may have already guessed I'm really new to this site (as in I made my account about 2 minutes ago) and I'm really, really bad at maths so I need a lot of help with this question. I'm not even sure if this in the right sub-forum but if it isn't please relocate it to the correct one.
Anyway, the question as mentioned in the title is how do I calculate the Impact Force of an object.
I already have the velocity and mass of the object but that's it.
Okay the velocity of the object is 5,611,940m/s
the mass of the object is 294kg
I'm not sure whether this is important or not but the object is traveling through a vacuum.
Also If you do go out of your way to explain this to me, then please do so In a way similar to what you would with a child.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You cannot - at least not with the given information. If the object hits a solid target it will lead to a large force (although "explosion" would be a more fitting description), if it is slowed down gently the force will be much smaller.

Homework-like problems should be posted in our homework section, but as this problem is impossible I don't think moving this thread would help.

mfb said:
You cannot - at least not with the given information. If the object hits a solid target it will lead to a large force (although "explosion" would be a more fitting description), if it is slowed down gently the force will be much smaller.

Homework-like problems should be posted in our homework section, but as this problem is impossible I don't think moving this thread would help.
The object in question is colliding with the moon at said speed (I'm assuming this due to the fact of the object being in a vacuum).

with mass and velocity of the object given you can calculate its momentum, ##p = mv##. All you need to know then is that force is the change in momentum per time. The problem is if we assume that the object hitting the moon comes to rest instantaneously the time it would take is ##t = 0s## and so the force would be infinite.

So you would have to make assumptions how deep the crater would be that the impact creates. You can eliminate the time from ##F = Δp/Δt## by substituting it with ##t = 2d/v##, where ##d## is the depth of the crater. So without any further information you can't say.

Marc Rindermann said:
with mass and velocity of the object given you can calculate its momentum, ##p = mv##. All you need to know then is that force is the change in momentum per time. The problem is if we assume that the object hitting the moon comes to rest instantaneously the time it would take is ##t = 0s## and so the force would be infinite.

So you would have to make assumptions how deep the crater would be that the impact creates. You can eliminate the time from ##F = Δp/Δt## by substituting it with ##t = 2d/v##, where ##d## is the depth of the crater. So without any further information you can't say.
I really appreciate the in-depth reply but I honestly don't understand a thing you just said, I'm really, really, hopeless at maths and my tutors don't make it any easier they don't care whether you learn it or not they're just there for the paycheck.

is it possible that you have to calculate the impulse? Impulse is the change of momentum. Momentum is, as already mentioned, the product of mass and velocity ##p = mv##. Since the velocity is ##0## after the impact the impulse is ##I = mv - 0 = mv##.

CitizenSentry said:
The object in question is colliding with the moon at said speed (I'm assuming this due to the fact of the object being in a vacuum).
If you knew the "force" of impact, what would you be able to do with that number?

Unless you have an answer for that question, it is pointless for us to try to provide you with a number for the force. It would be a meaningless large number that one could go "woo woo" over.

CitizenSentry said:
really appreciate the in-depth reply but I honestly don't understand a thing you just said, I'm really, really, hopeless at maths and my tutors don't make it any easier they don't care whether you learn it or not they're just there for the paycheck.
If this is a homework question, please open a thread in the homework section. Make sure to include the exact and full problem statement.

If it is not: With the given information the question doesn't have a meaningful answer, and further speculation what could be meant won't help. I closed the thread.

Related to How do I calculate the Impact Force of an object?

1. What is the formula for calculating impact force?

The formula for calculating impact force is F = m * Δv / Δt, where F is the impact force, m is the mass of the object, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the time of impact.

2. How do I determine the mass of the object for calculating impact force?

The mass of the object can be determined by measuring its weight using a scale or by using its density and volume to calculate mass. Alternatively, if the object is moving at a constant velocity before impact, its momentum can also be used to calculate mass.

3. What units should be used for calculating impact force?

The units for impact force are typically expressed in Newtons (N) or pounds-force (lbf). It is important to ensure that all values used in the calculation are in consistent units to get an accurate result.

4. Is there a way to estimate the impact force without knowing the time of impact?

Yes, if the object is falling from a known height and its final velocity is known, the impact force can be estimated using the formula F = m * g * h, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) and h is the height of the fall.

5. Is the calculated impact force always the same as the actual force?

No, the calculated impact force is an estimate based on the given parameters and may not be equal to the actual force. Factors such as air resistance, deformation of the object, and other external forces can affect the actual impact force.