Impact on Earth: Calculating Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact an object with known mass and velocity would have if it were to hit Earth. It is noted that the object's size and shape can greatly affect the impact due to Earth's atmosphere. An online tool is mentioned as a resource for determining the impact effects, and information about physicist Jay Melosh is shared as a side note.
mukuruku
Hey guys,
I have object i know its mass and velocity so i have energy. I need some king of classification of what impact it will make if it hits earth.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Here’s an online tool. https://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEarth/ImpactEffects

As a side note, Jay Melosh did a Ph.D. at Caltech under Gell-Mann on quarks. He is known for his research on the mechanics of impact cratering. There are many paths for a physicist to take. He died a couple of years ago. May he rest in peace.

Last edited:
mukuruku said:
Hey guys,
I have object i know its mass and velocity so i have energy. I need some king of classification of what impact it will make if it hits earth.
Because Earth has an atmosphere, it makes a huge difference what size and shape it is. For example, a flat sheet of paper flutters as it falls, the mass and velocity of the paper make little difference.

If you mean a dense spherical object, there may be equations.

What is the impact of energy on Earth?

The impact of energy on Earth is significant. Energy is essential for all living things and is used for various purposes such as transportation, heating, and electricity. However, the production and consumption of energy can also have negative effects on the environment, such as air and water pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.

How is energy calculated?

Energy is typically calculated using the formula E = m x c^2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. This formula is known as Einstein's famous equation, which relates mass and energy. Other methods for calculating energy include using the Joule or calorie unit of measurement.

What is the role of energy in climate change?

Energy plays a significant role in climate change. The burning of fossil fuels for energy production is one of the main contributors to the increase in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. These gases trap heat and contribute to the Earth's rising temperatures, leading to changes in weather patterns and other impacts on the environment.

How does energy impact the economy?

Energy has a significant impact on the economy. The production and consumption of energy are essential for economic growth and development. However, the cost of energy can also have a significant impact on the economy, as fluctuations in energy prices can affect the cost of goods and services, as well as the overall health of industries and businesses.

What are some ways to reduce the impact of energy on Earth?

There are various ways to reduce the impact of energy on Earth. Some examples include using renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydropower, which have lower emissions and are more sustainable than fossil fuels. Additionally, implementing energy-efficient practices, such as using energy-efficient appliances and reducing energy consumption, can also help reduce the impact of energy on Earth.