How Do I Calculate the Volume of Air Needed for Complete Combustion of Gasoline?

In summary, the question asks for the volume of air needed for complete combustion of one litter of gasoline at a temperature of 25C and a pressure of 1 atm. The gasoline contains 6.15 moles of octane (C8H18) and the partial pressure of oxygen in the air is 0.205 atm. Using the balanced reaction of C8H18 + (25/2)O2 --> 8CO2 + 9H2O and the ideal gas law (PV = nRT), we can calculate that 76.875 moles of oxygen are needed, which corresponds to a volume of 9,163.5 L. However, since the partial pressure of oxygen
Gil-H

Homework Statement

What volume of air (T=25C, P=1atm) is required
for complete combustion of one litter of gasoline?
The partial pressure of oxygen in the air is 0.205 atm.
One litter of gasoline contains 6.15 moles octane C8H18.

Homework Equations

The unbalanced reaction is:
C8H18 + O2 --> CO2 + H2O
The ideal gas law:
PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

The balanced reaction is:
C8H18 + (25/2)O2 --> 8CO2 + 9H2O
So 6.15 moles octane requires 6.15*12.5 = 76.875 moles O2.
With the ideal gas law I get:
PV = nRT
(0.205)V=(76.875)(0.082)(298)
V = 9,163.5 L

Is this the correct answer?
My friend beleives it is,
but I think that this value is just the volume of oxygen needed,
and the volume of air needed is V = (9,163.5/0.2) = 45,817.5 L

Physics news on Phys.org
Your friend is right.

Your approach would be correct if you would use not partial pressure of the oxygen, but 1 atm.

--
methods

I would say that your friend is correct. The calculation you have done gives the volume of oxygen needed for complete combustion of gasoline, but the question asks for the volume of air needed. This means that you need to take into account the fact that air is a mixture of gases, and only about 20.5% of the air is oxygen. Therefore, the volume of air needed would be about 5 times the volume of oxygen calculated, which is approximately 45,817.5 L. It is important to be clear about what the question is asking for and to consider all relevant factors when calculating a solution.

1. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to problems in ideal gases?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of ideal gases. It states that the pressure (P), volume (V), and temperature (T) of an ideal gas are all proportional to each other, with the constant of proportionality being the number of moles (n) of gas and the gas constant (R). This law is often used to solve problems involving ideal gases, such as calculating the pressure or volume of a gas under different conditions.

2. How do real gases differ from ideal gases?

Real gases differ from ideal gases in a few ways. Ideal gases are assumed to have no volume and no intermolecular forces, while real gases have non-zero volumes and experience intermolecular forces. The ideal gas law only applies to ideal gases, while real gases follow more complex laws, such as the van der Waals equation.

3. Can the ideal gas law be used for all gases?

No, the ideal gas law only applies to ideal gases. Real gases, which have non-zero volumes and experience intermolecular forces, follow more complex laws. However, the ideal gas law can be used as an approximation for real gases under certain conditions, such as at low pressures and high temperatures.

4. What is the difference between a problem involving ideal gases and a problem involving real gases?

A problem involving ideal gases can be solved using the ideal gas law, while a problem involving real gases may require the use of more complex equations, such as the van der Waals equation. Additionally, real gases may have additional factors to consider, such as the compressibility factor.

5. How can I solve problems involving ideal gases?

To solve problems involving ideal gases, you can use the ideal gas law and plug in the known values for pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles. You may also need to convert units as necessary. It is important to make sure that the conditions of the gas match the assumptions of an ideal gas, such as low pressure and high temperature.