How do I check if a 1x1 matrix is diagonal, lower/upper triangular?

• Thread starter hkBattousai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
Therefore, in summary, a 1x1 matrix with an arbitrary value for a11 is both diagonal and upper and lower triangular.
hkBattousai
I have an A matrix with dimensions 1x1. Its the only term a11 is an arbitrary number.

For what values of a11, this A matrix is;

1. Diagonal
  2. Upper triangular
  3. Lower triangular

Physics news on Phys.org
hkBattousai said:
I have an A matrix with dimensions 1x1. Its the only term a11 is an arbitrary number.

For what values of a11, this A matrix is;

1. Diagonal
  2. Upper triangular
  3. Lower triangular

By definition a 1x1 matrix will be upper and lower triangular. (But not strictly; for strictly upper and lower: [itex]a[/itex] must be 0).

A matrix is diagonal if it is triangular and normal. Normal (for a matrix whose elements lie in the domain of real numbers) means [itex]A \ A^T = A^T \ A[/itex]

A matrix is diagonal if it has no nonzero entries off the diagonal. A matrix is upper triangular if it has no nonzero entries below the diagonal. etc.

Clearly any 1x1 matrix satisfies these properties, since there are no entries off the diagonal, nonzero or not.

1. How do I check if a 1x1 matrix is diagonal?

To check if a 1x1 matrix is diagonal, simply compare the only element in the matrix to zero. If the element is equal to zero, then the matrix is diagonal. If the element is not equal to zero, then the matrix is not diagonal.

2. How do I check if a 1x1 matrix is lower triangular?

To check if a 1x1 matrix is lower triangular, the element in the first row and first column must be non-zero. If there are any other elements in the matrix, then it is not lower triangular.

3. How do I check if a 1x1 matrix is upper triangular?

To check if a 1x1 matrix is upper triangular, the element in the first row and first column must be non-zero. If there are any other elements in the matrix, then it is not upper triangular.

4. Can a 1x1 matrix be both lower and upper triangular?

Yes, a 1x1 matrix can be both lower and upper triangular. This is because there is only one element in the matrix, so it satisfies the conditions for being both lower and upper triangular.

5. Is there a simpler way to check if a 1x1 matrix is diagonal, lower/upper triangular?

No, there is no simpler way to check if a 1x1 matrix is diagonal, lower/upper triangular. Since there is only one element in the matrix, it is necessary to compare it to zero and check for any other elements in order to determine its properties.