How do I construct this Triangle?

• MHB
  • Thread starter schunck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation is about constructing triangle "J" using only a protractor, ruler, compass, and pencil. The angles of the triangle are difficult to figure out, but the speaker suggests using the fact that two tangents from a point to a circle have the same length. The line AB is 13cm long and a circle of radius 4cm touches it at a distance of 6cm from point A. The speaker also reassures that knowing the angles is not necessary to complete the task.
schunck
I have to construct the triangle "J" only using protractor, ruler, compass and pencil. But I can't seem to find a way to figure out the angles. Please help.

View attachment 6315

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2017-01-11 kl. 11.36.03.png
    Skærmbillede 2017-01-11 kl. 11.36.03.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
schunck said:
I have to construct the triangle "J" only using protractor, ruler, compass and pencil. But I can't seem to find a way to figure out the angles. Please help.
Hi schunck, and welcome to MHB!

Just to get you started, the two tangents from a point to a circle have the same length. So the line $AB$ is 13cm long, and a circle of radius 4cm touches it at a distance 6cm from $A$. Can you take it from there? (You don't need to know the angles.)

Of course. Thx

Related to How do I construct this Triangle?

1. How do I find the length of each side of a triangle?

To find the length of each side of a triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. You can also use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the lengths of sides in non-right triangles.

2. What are the different types of triangles and how are they constructed?

The three main types of triangles are equilateral, isosceles, and scalene. An equilateral triangle has three equal sides and all three angles are also equal. An isosceles triangle has two equal sides and two equal angles. A scalene triangle has no equal sides or angles. To construct these triangles, you can use a compass and straightedge to measure and draw the appropriate lengths and angles.

3. How can I determine the angles of a triangle?

To determine the angles of a triangle, you can use the fact that the sum of all angles in a triangle is always equal to 180 degrees. So, if you know the measures of two angles, you can find the measure of the third angle by subtracting the sum of the two known angles from 180 degrees. You can also use trigonometric functions to find the angles in non-right triangles.

4. What are some common constructions used in triangle constructions?

Some common constructions used in triangle constructions include constructing perpendicular lines, bisecting angles, and drawing parallel lines. These constructions can help you find and draw the necessary lengths and angles for a triangle.

5. How do I construct a triangle with specific dimensions and angles?

To construct a triangle with specific dimensions and angles, you can use a combination of constructions such as bisecting angles and drawing perpendicular lines to find and draw the necessary lengths and angles. You can also use trigonometric functions to calculate the lengths and angles of non-right triangles.