How do I correctly find the Christoffel symbol for a specific component?

In summary, the person is seeking help with finding the Christoffel symbols and is wondering if they calculated the correct symbol, which they believe is equal to zero. They are also asked to calculate other components for confirmation. They are using a cosmological synchronous gauge according to Dodelson and Schmidt, and have already calculated some other symbols with their professor's approval.
jordy1113
Homework Statement
Find Christoffel symbol
Relevant Equations
$$
\Gamma^l_{ki} = \frac{1}{2} g^{lj} (\partial_k g_{ij} + \partial_i g_{jk} - \partial_j g_{ki})
$$
\begin{eqnarray}
g_{00}(x,t)=1\\
g_{0i}(x,t)=0\\
g_{ij}(x,t)=a^{2}(t)[\delta_{ij}+h_{ij}(x,t)]\\
\end{eqnarray}
I was not given a formal teaching on christoffel symbols and how to find them so I just need some help.
I'm trying to find the cristoffel symbol:
\begin{equation}
\Gamma^{i}_{00}
\end{equation}
I set my equation up as:
\begin{equation}
\Gamma^i_{00} = \frac{1}{2} g^{ij} (\partial_0 g_{0j} + \partial_0 g_{0j} - \partial_j g_{00})
\end{equation}
Am I correct in getting that this christoffel symbol is equal to zero? If not what am I doing wrong? Many thanks in advance (sorry I am still trying to figure out the latex on the forum)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From (5) you seem to be right. Why do not you calculate general jk components not only 00 ?
If not all components are zero, you would have some confidence.

You're right, but what kind of metric is this?

haushofer said:
You're right, but what kind of metric is this?
cosmological synchronous gauge according to Dodelson and Schmidt

anuttarasammyak said:
From (5) you seem to be right. Why do not you calculate general jk components not only 00 ?
If not all components are zero, you would have some confidence.
thanks, I calculated some of the other christoffel symbols already and my professor checked them, we just forgot to do this one so I needed some reassurance I was doing it correctly

1. What is a Christoffel symbol?

A Christoffel symbol is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe the curvature of a space. It is a set of numbers that represent the connection between the coordinates of a space and the curvature of that space.

2. Why is it important to find Christoffel symbols?

Finding Christoffel symbols is important because they provide valuable information about the curvature of a space. They are used in various fields of science, such as general relativity, to understand the behavior of objects in curved spaces.

3. How do you find Christoffel symbols?

To find Christoffel symbols, you need to first define the metric tensor, which describes the distance between points in a space. Then, you can use the metric tensor to calculate the Christoffel symbols using a specific formula. This process can be complex and may require advanced mathematical knowledge.

4. What is the relationship between Christoffel symbols and the Levi-Civita connection?

The Levi-Civita connection is a type of connection used in differential geometry, and it is closely related to Christoffel symbols. In fact, the Christoffel symbols can be used to calculate the Levi-Civita connection, which is important in understanding the curvature of a space.

5. Can Christoffel symbols be used in other areas of science?

Yes, Christoffel symbols have applications in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are particularly useful in understanding and modeling curved spaces, which can be found in many real-world systems and phenomena.