How do I develop physical intuition for the tidal force?

In summary, the 1/r^3 term in the Taylor series expansion of the gravitational force represents the 'stretching' or force difference on two radially-opposite ends of a smaller body near a larger, more massive body. This concept can provide a physical intuition for why the coefficients for this term are the way they are.
Simfish
Gold Member
I know that it corresponds to the 1/r^3 term in the Taylor series expansion of the gravitational force. But Taylor series expansions can't give me any physical intuition. By physical intuition, I mean that I want to know why the coefficients for the 1/r^3 term are the way they are.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
There is a better way (in my opinion) to think about it:
Consider the 'stretching' (force difference) on the two radially-opposite ends of a body (say, length 'l') near another far more massive body (mass 'M'). Make the assumption that the distance between the two objects ('R') is much larger than the size of the smaller body; e.g. [tex]l << R[/tex]

Related to How do I develop physical intuition for the tidal force?

1. What is physical intuition for the tidal force?

Physical intuition for the tidal force refers to the ability to understand and predict the effects of tidal forces on a given system. This includes understanding the underlying physics and being able to make accurate predictions about the behavior of objects under the influence of tidal forces.

2. Why is physical intuition important for understanding tidal forces?

Physical intuition is important for understanding tidal forces because it allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of objects in tidal environments. This can be crucial for activities such as navigation, coastal engineering, and studying the Earth's oceans and tides.

3. How can I develop physical intuition for the tidal force?

The best way to develop physical intuition for the tidal force is through practice and hands-on experience. This can include conducting experiments, studying the underlying physics, and observing tidal phenomena in nature. It also helps to have a strong understanding of mathematics and physics principles.

4. Are there any resources available to help me develop physical intuition for the tidal force?

Yes, there are many resources available such as textbooks, online lectures, and simulation software that can help you develop physical intuition for the tidal force. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from experts in the field or participate in workshops or courses focused on tidal forces.

5. How long does it take to develop physical intuition for the tidal force?

The amount of time it takes to develop physical intuition for the tidal force can vary depending on an individual's background and level of dedication. For some, it may take months or years of study and practice, while others may develop it more quickly. The key is to be patient, persistent, and actively engage in learning and practicing the concepts.