How do I explain to my grandson that we had to put down our beloved dog, Blanca?

• Thread starter edward
  • Start date
In summary, Blanca, a beloved dog, had been slowing down and was eventually diagnosed with cancer. Despite not being in pain, she was losing blood internally and became weak. The owner, Edward, was concerned about how to tell his seven-year-old grandson, who was very attached to the dog. Other forum members shared their own experiences with losing pets and offered advice on how to explain it to a child. Some suggested creating a ritual or commemoration to honor the dog's memory. Edward ultimately decided to plant a small saguaro cactus in memory of Blanca. Many expressed their condolences and shared their own memories of their pets.
edward
Blanca had been really slowing down lately. It turned out to be cancer. Thankfully old dog was never in any pain, but she was losing blood internally and had become very weak.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/7579/1000722jpgblanca2or3.jpg

I am a bit concerned as to how to tell my seven year old grandson. I even stalled the inevitable because I knew my grandson would be going out of town. Of all of the pets that I have lost I have never had to explain it to a child.

My grandson is really attached to the dog. He is usually here on Friday afternoons and all day Saturday.

My little acre is becoming a pet cemetery. I now have; three cats, three dogs, and one horse buried on my property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So sorry Edward - she looked like a sweetie. It's always hard to lose a pet.

Mr. Rogers was very good at talking to children about sad things. There must be a website left for him. I know he wrote a book about talking to children about death. I would look it up for you but honestly we are "just" bringing in some new Beta fish because of a loss on New Years morning.
We don't have a child to tell but an adult child who was very attached to our fish and cared for them when we went on holiday. She is due any time now from out of town.
Try Mr Rogers.
So sorry about your loss, a very sweet dog and very pretty.

I'm saddened to here of Blanca's death. It is always hard losing a member of the family.

I think it best to be honest with the grandson, since death of pets and family members is something we will inevitably have to deal with.

We have the cremated remains of three cats and a dog with us, and we'll have at least two more cats and a dog within the next decade. Such is life.

Sad, I remember her 'embarassing' picture you posted last year.

Thats pretty much how our last Dobe Emma went. She had internal bleeding and went downhill quite rapidly. Before then we didn't know she had cancer.

Sorry for your loss edward. I hope your grandson doesn't take it too hard.

Sorry to hear of this, Edward. I'm not much into dogs, but that one looks really nice.
You've demonstrated time and again in these forums that you are an excellent communicator, so you shouldn't have too much trouble explaining it to a child. Just be straight with him. Don't embellish the circumstances with any of those stupid platitudes that so many people use. My approach would be the same one that I use at funerals. I don't mourn the loss of someone; I celebrate having had them in my life. Remind him of the good times that they had together.

That's really unfortunate. I remember seeing her in one of the other threads and thinking that I wanted a dog that looked like her. Pretty doggy.

~christina~ said:
That's really unfortunate. I remember seeing her in one of the other threads and thinking that I wanted a dog that looked like her. Pretty doggy.
Poor dog. I had to give up a dog (euthanised it) when I was younger, age 11 as well. Turns out that it was suffering from a heart disease (some tumor or something). It was formerly an abandoned pet dog wandering around as a stray with a leash attached and my family adopted it. I still remember that the dog was actually older than me (in human years) then or so the vet said.

I'm very sorry to hear about Blanca, Edward. Pets are family and it is always tough when one goes.

No way to avoid the inevitable with the grandson. We all have to learn about this kind of loss sooner or later.

Sorry to hear about this, Edward. As I reacall, you said she was a working dog before you got her. So nice that you gave her a nice, carefree retirement.

I'm very sorry to hear about this.

I had a grief counselor tell me once that rituals can be very helpful in dealing with loss. Maybe there is something you could do with your grandson to commemorate her passing - plant a tree or some flowers in her honor. Maybe you could write a little note with your grandson about what a great dog she was and read it at her grave. It helps somehow to formalize saying goodbye.

Danger said:
I celebrate having had them in my life.

As soon as I saw the thread title, I was sad because I thought of her fabulous curtain photo...
What joys she must have given you constantly! Your family is in my thoughts.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and suggestions. I have decided that my grandson and I will plant a small saguaro cactus in memory of Blanca. And to be honest, I think a part of that commemoration will be for me.:smile:

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your beloved friend and companion. Sending all good thoughts your way.

Im sorry for your loss.

I still say hello to benji's picture, and his ashes are still with me, if any thing ever upset me it was when Benji popted his clogs, he was a real mate.
Condolences Edward.

Deepest sympathies, Edward. I've kept dogs all my life before I moved to Holland, and my dogs were part of an extended family, so I think I know how you feel. I think at certain traumatic times in my life more than one dog has kept me sane. I think it's the unquestioned loyalty that makes dogs such perfect pets.

What does it mean to "have a dog put down"?

Having a dog put down, also known as euthanasia, is the act of humanely ending an animal's life due to old age, illness, or injury.

Why would someone choose to have their dog put down?

There are a variety of reasons why someone may choose to have their dog put down. Some common reasons include severe illness or injury, advanced age and declining quality of life, or behavioral issues that cannot be managed.

What happens during the process of putting a dog down?

During the process of putting a dog down, a veterinarian will administer a sedative followed by an overdose of anesthesia. This causes the dog to fall into a deep sleep and then pass away peacefully without any pain or suffering.

Is it a difficult decision to have a dog put down?

Yes, it can be a very difficult decision to have a dog put down. It is important for pet owners to carefully consider their dog's quality of life and consult with a veterinarian before making this decision.

What are some alternatives to having a dog put down?

There are several alternatives to having a dog put down, including hospice care, pain management, and natural death. It is important to discuss all options with a veterinarian and make the best decision for the dog's well-being.