How do I express an element in a matrix of s8 as a product of disjoint cycles?

In summary, when trying to solve for 1-cycles in an equation, take the first element in the list, add it, and then take the next element not in our list and add it.
beetle2

Homework Statement

Express the element in matrix

A=

of s8 as a product disjoint cycles

2. Homework Equations [/b

The Attempt at a Solution

I pick a number say the first 1 and pu it in parenthises. (1,
I multiply by the number in th image so number 1x 4 which gives 4 so that does not equal my first number 1 so I add it to my list so we now have (1,4

I than go to the next column which is number 2 and multiply that by the image so 2 x 1 that equals 2 which does not equal 1 so I add that to my list so now its (1,4,2

Now the next column has 3 and 3 in the image so I disregard and close the parenthises

(1,4,2)

Is this right so far I'm not sure if I'm using the right process.

regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, it's possible we don't mean the same thing here. But here I think it goes... (and it has nothing to do with multiplying)

Take the first element in the list, that's 1. Add it: it gives (1 ...
The element under 1 is 4, add that to the list: (1 4 ...
The element under 4 is 2, add that to the list: (1 4 2 ...
The element under 2 is 1, we have that already in our list, so we close the paranthesis: (1 4 2)

Take the next element not in our list, that's 3: (1 4 2)(3 ...
The element under 3 is 3, we have that already in our list, so we close the paranthesis: (1 4 2)(3)

Take the next element not in our list, that's 5: (1 4 2)(3)(5 ...
The element under 5 is 8, add that to the list: (1 4 2)(3)(5 8 ...
The element under 8 is 7, add that to the list: (1 4 2)(3)(5 8 7 ...
The element under 7 is 6, add that to the list: (1 4 2)(3)(5 8 7 6 ...
The element under 6 is 5, we have that already in our list, so we close the paranthesis: (1 4 2)(3)(5 8 7 6)

We have exhausted all the elements, so this is the final answer.

I'm not sure. I checked then answers in the book and it has (142)(5876) not sure how they got it as theirs dosn't have a (3)?

Yes, both (142)(5876) as (142)(3)(5876) are correct. But it's a bit of a convention not to write the 1-cycles (like (3) ). So I guess (142)(5876) is the more standard solution. I should have mentioned that...

thankyou very much for the explanation micromass much appreciated

Related to How do I express an element in a matrix of s8 as a product of disjoint cycles?

1. What is a "Product of disjoint cycles"?

A "Product of disjoint cycles" is a mathematical concept used in group theory. It refers to a way of representing a permutation as a product of smaller cycles that do not share any elements.

2. How is a "Product of disjoint cycles" calculated?

To calculate the "Product of disjoint cycles", you start with the given permutation and find the smallest cycle that includes the first element. Then, you continue finding smaller cycles that include elements that haven't been used yet until all elements have been included. Finally, you write the cycles in the order they were found, separated by multiplication symbols.

3. What is the significance of "disjoint" in "Product of disjoint cycles"?

The term "disjoint" refers to the fact that the cycles in the product do not share any elements. This is important because it allows us to easily determine the inverse of the permutation and to calculate its order.

4. Can a permutation have more than one "Product of disjoint cycles"?

Yes, a permutation can have multiple "Products of disjoint cycles". This is because there are different ways to decompose a permutation into smaller cycles, as long as they are all disjoint and include all elements of the permutation.

5. What is the relationship between "Product of disjoint cycles" and "cycle notation"?

"Cycle notation" is another way of representing permutations by writing them as a product of disjoint cycles. The only difference is that in "cycle notation", we only write the elements that are moved by the permutation, whereas in "Product of disjoint cycles", we also include the elements that are not moved. Both representations convey the same information about the permutation.