How do I factor out negative signs in equations?

In summary: I'm sorry, I was trying to explain how to write formulas using LaTeX, which is a language for typesetting mathematical formulas. It is used on this forum to make it easier to read and understand equations. However, it seems like this is not something you are familiar with, so I will just provide a plain text summary of the conversation you had:You were discussing how to simplify the expression (3a+4b)(a-3b) over b(3a+4b) multiplied by 1 over b^2(3b-a)(3b+a). During the process, you were confused about the negative sign and how it affects the simplification. The final answer was 1 over b^3(a-3
sobergeek23
Member warned that the homework template must be used
i have no idea how to use the punctuation marks for writing equations..ill do my best..

(3a+4b)(a-3b) over b(3a+4b) multiplied by 1 over b^2(3b-a)(3b+a)

during the cross cancelling the 3b-a would be multiplied by a negative one to switch the problem over right? (-1)(3b-a) in order to cross cancel with the (a-3b) in the top left..
the answer was 1 over b^3(a-3b) but i don't understand the whole negative sign thing..isnt (3b-a) the same as (-a+3b)? so factoring out the negative would make it (a-3b) and it cancels with the top left fraction but then i also have the (b) (b^2)(3b+a) on the bottom so how do they get b^3(a-3b)? i get the b^3 part ..i thought maybe the negative one i factored out in the (3b-a) would have also applied to the (3b+a) but then wouldn't it be (-3b-a) ..im so confussed on factoring out negatives..

Physics news on Phys.org
sobergeek23 said:
i have no idea how to use the punctuation marks for writing equations..ill do my best..

during the cross cancelling the 3b-a would be multiplied by a negative one to switch the problem over right? (-1)(3b-a) in order to cross cancel with the (a-3b) in the top left..
the answer was 1 over b^3(a-3b)
Sure there isn't a typo? What happened to ##(3b+a)##?
but i don't understand the whole negative sign thing..isnt (3b-a) the same as (-a+3b)? so factoring out the negative would make it (a-3b) and it cancels with the top left fraction but then i also have the (b) (b^2)(3b+a) on the bottom so how do they get b^3(a-3b)?
see above
i get the b^3 part ..i thought maybe the negative one i factored out in the (3b-a) would have also applied to the (3b+a) but then wouldn't it be (-3b-a) ..im so confussed on factoring out negatives..
I don't really see where the ##-1## has gone to, neither in the quoted answer nor in the confusion of your reasoning.

To write formulas, you should read
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

It's not that difficult but makes reading a lot easier. I think you have all you need to simplify the quotient. Just keep track of your parts. A simple trick to see, whether a step is write or wrong, is to plug in some small numbers for ##a## and ##b##, like ##\pm 1## or ##\pm 2##.

sobergeek23 said:

the answer was 1 over b^3(a-3b) but i don't understand the whole negative sign thing..isnt (3b-a) the same as (-a+3b)? so factoring out the negative would make it (a-3b) and it cancels with the top left fraction but then i also have the (b) (b^2)(3b+a) on the bottom so how do they get b^3(a-3b)? i get the b^3 part ..i thought maybe the negative one i factored out in the (3b-a) would have also applied to the (3b+a) but then wouldn't it be (-3b-a) ..im so confussed on factoring out negatives..

Was it the problem?
[tex]\frac{(3a+4b)(a-3b)}{b(3a+4b)}\frac{1}{b^2(3b-a)(3b+a)}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{(3a+4b)(a-3b)}{b(3a+4b)}\frac{1}{-b^2(a-3b)(3b+a)}[/tex]

You canceled out a-3b, and you got a (-1) factor in the denominator. Dividing by -1 makes the sign of the whole fraction negative, so it is
[tex]-\left(\frac{(3a+4b)}{b(3a+4b)}\frac{1}{b^2(3b+a)}\right)[/tex]after further simplification, you get the desired formula.

The minus sign is the same as a factor of (-1).
Remember the rules when calculating with factors. [tex]\frac{a}{bc}=\frac{1}{b}\frac{a}{c}[/tex]
If b = -1,
[tex]\frac{a}{-c}=\frac{1}{-1}\frac{a}{c}[/tex]
and you know that [tex]\frac{1}{-1}= -1[/tex]
so [tex]\frac{a}{-c}=-\frac{a}{c}[/tex]

#3 ..writing it out not that hard? looking at that page just made my eyes cross and my brain short circuit..ugh forget it..

sobergeek23 said:
#3 ..writing it out not that hard? looking at that page just made my eyes cross and my brain short circuit..ugh forget it..

Can you write (3a+4b)(a-3b)/( b(3a+4b))? Is that easier than writing \frac{(3a+4b)(s-3b)}{b(3a+4)}? Basically, that's all there is to it!

When you write x = \frac{a}{b} in LaTeX, you get ##x = \frac{a}{b}## after you enclose everything between two # symbols, like this: # # your stuff # # (remove spaces between the two # signs at the start and the end). Using # delimiters produces an "in-line" formula. If you want a "displayed" formula/equation, like this
$$ x =\frac{a}{b},$$
you should replace the # symbols by $ signs, so write $ $ your stuff $ $ (with no spaces between the two $ signs at the start and the end).

Last edited:
no idea what that means...the first thing u wrote made sense, the rest way over my head..this site won't let me post pictures either otherwise id just upload a pic of the problem

1. What is factoring out a negative?

Factoring out a negative means removing a negative sign from the front of an expression or term. This is done by finding common factors and rearranging the terms.

2. Why do we factor out a negative?

Factoring out a negative helps simplify expressions and make them easier to work with. It also allows us to see patterns and relationships between terms more clearly.

3. How do you factor out a negative?

To factor out a negative, we can start by identifying the common factors between all terms in the expression. Then, we can rearrange the terms so that the negative sign is in front of the common factor. Finally, we can factor out the negative by dividing all terms by the common factor.

4. Can you give an example of factoring out a negative?

Sure, let's say we have the expression -3x + 6. We can factor out a -1 (which is the common factor) to get (-1)(3x - 6). This is equivalent to -1 * -3x + (-1) * 6, which simplifies to 3x - 6.

5. Does factoring out a negative affect the value of the expression?

No, factoring out a negative does not change the value of the expression. It only changes the way the expression is written or presented.