How do i find the ionization level of Helium

In summary, the ionization energy for He+ with a nuclear charge of Z=2 is approximately 54.4 eV, according to the Bohr equation. However, Bohr's theory is flawed and unable to accurately calculate the ionization energy for neutral atoms. This may be due to the assumption that Z represents the nuclear charge, when it may actually represent the ionic charge of the nucleus. Bohr's theory can only be applied to Hydrogen and Hydrogen-like atoms with one electron remaining, and cannot accurately calculate the ionization energies of atoms with multiple electrons removed.
jimmersz

Homework Statement

What is the ionization energy for He+ Z=2

Homework Equations

E = -13.6 z^2 / n^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged 2 in for Z and 1 in for n, and got 54.4 eV. I checked many charts and it said the ionization energy for Helium was around 24.6 eV.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think you came up with the right answer. Are you sure that's what the chart said?

The chart had 24.6, but maybe that isn't for Helium Ions.

Bohr's theory is flawed

If you try to use a Bohr equation, which uses Z squared, you cannot calculate the ionization energy of a neutral atom such as Helium I. The problem is that Bohr's theory has never been show to successfully calculate the ionization of Helium. However, the second ionization energy does calculate as 54.42. It is interesting that the third ionization energy of Lithium, the fourth of Beryllium and so forth do work with Z squared in the equation. Perhaps quantum mechanics (perbutation theory) succeeds where Bohr failed-I'm not sure.
Bohr assumed that Z represents the nuclear charge of the atom. He also believed that electron-electron repulsion would interfere with the calculation. Even when considering this interference, Bohr was never able to reach an accurate value for Helium's first ionization energy- which is actually 24.5874.
I can only speculate, at this point, that Z is not the nuclear charge, but the ionic charge of the nucleus. And that it is only when one electron is left that this value is qualified.
Bohr was only able to use his theory to explain the spectra of Hydrogen, and Hydrogen-like atoms-atoms stripped of all but one electron. Accordingly, he could only solve for the ionization energies of He II, Be III, Li IV, etc Where II is one electron removed, III is two electrons removed etc.

Related to How do i find the ionization level of Helium

1. How do I find the ionization level of Helium?

The ionization level of Helium can be found through various methods, such as spectroscopy or quantum mechanical calculations. One common way is to use the Rydberg formula, which calculates the energy levels of an atom based on its ionization energy. By plugging in the ionization energy of Helium, you can determine its ionization level.

2. What is the ionization energy of Helium?

The ionization energy of Helium is the amount of energy required to remove one electron from a neutral Helium atom, resulting in a positively charged ion. This value is typically measured in electron volts (eV) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) and can be found in reference tables or through experimental data.

3. What factors affect the ionization level of Helium?

The ionization level of Helium can be affected by several factors, including the number of electrons, the strength of the nucleus, and the energy levels of the electrons. For example, as the number of electrons increases, the ionization energy also increases, making it more difficult to remove an electron and resulting in a higher ionization level.

4. How does the ionization level of Helium compare to other elements?

The ionization level of Helium is relatively low compared to other elements. This is because Helium only has two electrons in its outermost energy level, making it easier to remove an electron compared to elements with more electrons in their outermost energy level. However, the ionization level of Helium is higher than Hydrogen, which only has one electron in its outermost energy level.

5. Why is knowing the ionization level of Helium important?

The ionization level of Helium is important because it provides information about the physical and chemical properties of the element. For example, the ionization energy of an element is related to its reactivity and ability to form chemical bonds. It is also important in understanding the behavior of Helium in various environments, such as in stars or in gas discharge tubes.