How Do I Find the Slope and Intercept of this Crystal Formation Experiment?

• I
  • Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary: I don't see how a named constant will affect what you're doing to find the slope and intercept of a logarithmic regression. It seems to me that you're overcomplicating things.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all, my friend asked me how to find the slope and intercept of ##ln_(tnd)## vs ##ln(\Gamma)^{-2} ## in equation 7 of p 1031 in the file attached. I believe the slope is just ##\frac {B \gamma}{T} ## , the coefficient of ##ln(\Gamma)^{-2} ## and, since the relation goes through the origin, the intercept is ##(0,0)##. This seems sraightforward Mathematics, but since I don't know any Physics beyond a basic level, I may be missing something. Could someone verify/correct? Thanks.

Attachments

• SamisQonPhysics.png
    SamisQonPhysics.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 561
Mathematics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Hi all, my friend asked me how to find the slope and intercept of ##ln_(tnd)## vs ##ln(\Gamma)^{-2} ## in equation 7 of p 1031 in the file attached. I believe the slope is just ##\frac {B \gamma}{T} ## , the coefficient of ##ln(\Gamma)^{-2} ## and, since the relation goes through the origin, the intercept is ##(0,0)##. This seems sraightforward Mathematics, but since I don't know any Physics beyond a basic level, I may be missing something. Could someone verify/correct? Thanks.
I can't read the text in the image. Could you please blow it up a bit?

tnich said:
Sure, sorry

Attachments

• SamisQonPhysics2.png
    SamisQonPhysics2.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 524
WWGD said:
Sure, sorry
This looks exactly the same as the first image.

Ok, please see (7) in page 1031: to find slope of ##ln_(t_{ind})## vs ##(ln(\Gamma))^{-2} ##. I think it is just the coefficient ## \frac {B (\gamma)^3}{T^3} ##

Attachments

• NESQ ARTICLE (1).pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 427
tnich said:
What you need to do is put this in the form ##y = mx + b##, where y is your independent variable ##ln_(t_{ind})##, x is your independent variable ##(lnΩ)^{-2}##, m is the slope and b is the intercept. You have almost done that, but you have left out the power of 3 in the slope and it is not clear to me why you assume that ##ln_(t_{ind})=0## when ##(lnΩ)^{-2}= 0##.

Likes WWGD
tnich said:
What you need to do is put this in the form ##y = mx + b##, where y is your independent variable ##ln_(t_{ind})##, x is your independent variable ##(lnΩ)^{-2}##, m is the slope and b is the intercept. You have almost done that, but you have left out the power of 3 in the slope and it is not clear to me why you assume that ##ln_(t_{ind})=0## when ##(lnΩ)^{-2}= 0##.
Thanks. Isn't the coefficient m ##\frac {B (\gamma)^3}{T^3} ##? Also, I guess here is where I need some knowledge of physics to find out intercepts. I have no idea how to solve for the RH side, setting it to 0. Nor for the RH side, while setting ##(lnΩ)^{-2}= 0##

WWGD said:
The two variables are ##\ln(t_{ind})## and ##\left(\ln(\Omega)\right)^{-2}##. The coefficient of the latter expression is ##\frac{B\gamma^3}{T^3}##, not ##\frac {B \gamma}{T} ## as you wrote.

You could write the equation in the form of y = mx + b, with y being ##\ln(t_{ind})## and x being ##\ln(\Gamma)^{-2} ##. The slope m would be ##\frac{B\gamma^3}{T^3}##, and presumably the intercept would be the 2nd and 3rd terms on the right side of eqn. 7 of the PDF.

Last edited:
Thread moved to General Math section, as what we're talking about here is less about physics than it is about mathematics.

Mark44 said:
The two variables are ##\ln(t_{ind})## and ##\left(\ln(\Omega)\right)^{-2}##. The coefficient of the latter expression is ##\frac{B\gamma^3}{T^3}##, not ##\frac {B \gamma}{T} ## as you wrote.

You could write the equation in the form of y = mx + b, with y being ##ln_(tnd)## and x being ##ln(\Gamma)^{-2} ##. The slope m would be ##\frac{B\gamma^3}{T^3}##, and presumably the intercept would be the 2nd and 3rd terms on the right side of eqn. 7 of the PDF.
Ah, yes, I wrote it the slope without the cubes in one and with the cube in the other. Yes, I thought of it as a straightforward math pre-calc problem but I was not sure if there would be some Physics-related issues I was not aware of.

Mark44 said:
Thread moved to General Math section, as what we're talking about here is less about physics than it is about mathematics.
Yes, but you see, there were some additional questions I wanted to ask that are outside of the scope of the Math alone. We take data for values of (x,y) , then we re-scale to (lnx, lny ) and we get a statistically-significant line. BUT there must be some Physics-specific tweaking to find the slope of the line to be the expression ## \frac {B \gamma^3}{T^3} ##. Here ##\gamma## is surface energy and B is some sort of Boltzmann constant/expression, T is temperature. These values do not, AFAIK, pop up from doing a regression; there must be some Physics tweaking, I believe, shaping the choice of these coefficients.

WWGD said:
Yes, but you see, there were some additional questions I wanted to ask that are outside of the scope of the Math alone. We take data for values of (x,y) , then we re-scale to (lnx, lny ) and we get a statistically-significant line. BUT there must be some Physics-specific tweaking...
Seems to me that any "physics-specific tweaking" would have to be mathematically valid.

Mark44 said:
Seems to me that any "physics-specific tweaking" would have to be mathematically valid.
True, but it requires Physics-specific knowledge too. How do I know that, e.g., I should use the/(a?) Boltzmann constant in this case?

WWGD said:
True, but it requires Physics-specific knowledge too. How do I know that, e.g., I should use the/(a?) Boltzmann constant in this case?
I don't see how a named constant will affect what you're doing to find the slope and intercept of a line.

Mark44 said:
I don't see how a named constant will affect what you're doing to find the slope and intercept of a line.
The thing is that ( as I understand it) , we are doing a least-squares regression on a collection of data points ##(x_i,y_i)##. This returns a numerical estimate for the slope together with a confidence interval for it. But somehow this numerical value is ultimately substituted by a formula ## \frac {B\gamma^3}{T^3} ## where T is the temperature and B, gamma are constants. These constants are not derived/derivable by least-squares alone. Some knowledge of Physics is necessary to use and adjust these constants. EDIT : With ## x_i :=ln(t_{ind}); y_i= =ln(\Gamma)^{-2} ##

Last edited:
WWGD said:
The thing is that ( as I understand it) , we are doing a least-squares regression on a collection of data points ##(x_i,y_i)##. This returns a numerical estimate for the slope together with a confidence interval for it. But somehow this numerical value is ultimately substituted by a formula ## \frac {B\gamma^3}{T^3} ## where T is the temperature and B, gamma are constants. These constants are not derived/derivable by least-squares alone. Some knowledge of Physics is necessary to use and adjust these constants. EDIT : With ## x_i :=ln(t_{ind}); y_i= =ln(\Gamma)^{-2} ##
It looks to me like you have been given a lab exercise dealing with the formation of crystals in which you have varied saturation state ##Ω## and then measured the values of induction time ##t_{ind}##. The journal article you provided explains the physics and shows how to estimate surface energy ##γ## by fitting a line to suitably transformed data point pairs. The idea is not to estimate values of ##B## and ##T##. You need to control temperature ##T## in your experiment, and calculate ##B## from Boltman's constant and a nucleus shape factor. Then you can use that information and the slope of the line to calculate an estimate of ##γ##. So yes, you need to calculate a value of B using some knowledge of the crystal you are dealing with.

By the way, the independent variable in your equation for the line is ##ln^{-2}(Ω)##. That should be your value of x in the equation for the line ##y=mx+b##. You have x and y reversed in your recent edit.

Likes WWGD
tnich said:
It looks to me like you have been given a lab exercise dealing with the formation of crystals in which you have varied saturation state ##Ω## and then measured the values of induction time ##t_{ind}##. The journal article you provided explains the physics and shows how to estimate surface energy ##γ## by fitting a line to suitably transformed data point pairs. The idea is not to estimate values of ##B## and ##T##. You need to control temperature ##T## in your experiment, and calculate ##B## from Boltman's constant and a nucleus shape factor. Then you can use that information and the slope of the line to calculate an estimate of ##γ##. So yes, you need to calculate a value of B using some knowledge of the crystal you are dealing with.

By the way, the independent variable in your equation for the line is ##ln^{-2}(Ω)##. That should be your value of x in the equation for the line ##y=mx+b##. You have x and y reversed in your recent edit.

Thanks, tnich, this is from a friend who asked me for help. I can help her with Math aspects, but not with the Physics part.. And, yes, I have mixed the two too many times; I need to pay attention more carefully.

What is the slope of a line?

The slope of a line is a measure of its steepness or incline. It represents the rate of change of the line, or how much the line rises or falls for every unit change in the horizontal direction.

How do I find the slope of a line?

The slope of a line can be found by calculating the change in the y-coordinates divided by the change in the x-coordinates of any two points on the line. This is represented by the equation: slope = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1).

What is the y-intercept of a line?

The y-intercept of a line is the point where the line crosses the y-axis. It represents the value of y when x is equal to 0.

How do I find the y-intercept of a line?

The y-intercept of a line can be found by identifying the value of y when x is equal to 0. This can be done by plugging in x=0 into the equation of the line and solving for y.

What is the relationship between slope and intercept?

The slope and intercept of a line are both important characteristics that describe the line. The slope determines the steepness of the line, while the intercept represents the starting point of the line on the y-axis. Together, they provide information about the direction and position of the line on the coordinate plane.