How do I find the standardized coefficients?

In summary, the individual is using Stata for a regression on longitudinal data but is unable to obtain standardized coefficients. To produce these coefficients, the option "beta" can be added to the regress command. The listcoef command can also provide more extensive output, which can be downloaded by searching for it and following the instructions. A tutorial for simple and multiple regression can be found on the UCLA website.
monsmatglad
hi.
I am using Stata to do a regression on longitudinal data. However, it does not produce numbers for standardized coefficients. How do I make stata produce the standardised coefficients as part of the regression operation?

Mons

Physics news on Phys.org
monsmatglad said:
hi.
I am using Stata to do a regression on longitudinal data. However, it does not produce numbers for standardized coefficients. How do I make stata produce the standardised coefficients as part of the regression operation?

Adding the option beta to the regress command will give the standardized regression coefficients, in this way: <your full regress command>, beta.

The listcoef command gives more extensive output regarding standardized coefficients. This is not part of Stata but you can download it with:
search listcoef and follow the instructions.

For a tutorial for simple and multiple regression take a look at this UCLA resource.

1. How do I calculate standardized coefficients?

Standardized coefficients, also known as beta coefficients, are calculated by dividing each variable's regression coefficient by the standard deviation of that variable. This can be done using statistical software or by hand using a formula.

2. Why are standardized coefficients important?

Standardized coefficients allow for easier comparison of the impact of different variables in a regression model. They also allow for interpretation of the relative strength of the relationship between variables, regardless of the scale of the variables.

3. Can I use standardized coefficients to make predictions?

No, standardized coefficients cannot be used to make predictions. They are used for interpretation and comparison purposes only. To make predictions, you would need to use the raw coefficients from the regression model.

4. How can I interpret standardized coefficients?

The magnitude of a standardized coefficient represents the change in the dependent variable for a one standard deviation change in the independent variable. A positive coefficient indicates a positive relationship, while a negative coefficient indicates a negative relationship. A coefficient of zero means there is no relationship between the variables.

5. Is there a difference between standardized coefficients and beta coefficients?

No, standardized coefficients and beta coefficients refer to the same thing. They are both measures of the strength and direction of the relationship between variables in a regression model.