How do I graph in vertex form with an equation like (x+1/2)^2 = 12(y - 3)?

In summary, when faced with an equation in the form of (x+1/2)^2 = 12(y-3), it may be necessary to convert it to standard form or graph it as is. This depends on your skill in graphing. It is often easier to isolate one variable (the dependent) in terms of another variable (the independent) in order to quickly obtain corresponding values. However, some software, such as the desmos calculator, can handle the original "implicit form."
Tyrion101
I've run into stumbling block here, is some sort of conversion required when your equation looks like: (x+1/2)^2 = 12(y - 3). Do I move it to standard form or can I graph it as is?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The answer might depend on your skill in graphing.
Usually, it's easier to isolate one variable [now called the dependent] in terms of another variable [the independent].
Then you can run different values for the independent variable and quickly get the corrseponding values for the dependent one.
Some software, like the desmos calculator, can handle your original "implicit form".

That's what I was going to do, I just wanted to make sure. Thank you.

1. What is vertex form?

Vertex form is a way of writing a quadratic equation in the form y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) represents the coordinates of the vertex of the parabola.

2. How does graphing in vertex form differ from standard form?

Graphing in vertex form allows us to easily identify the vertex and axis of symmetry of a parabola, while standard form (y = ax^2 + bx + c) requires additional steps such as completing the square.

3. How do you find the vertex in vertex form?

The vertex in vertex form is already given as (h,k). The value of h represents the x-coordinate of the vertex, while k represents the y-coordinate.

4. What is the significance of the "a" value in vertex form?

The "a" value in vertex form determines the direction and shape of the parabola. If a is positive, the parabola opens upwards, and if a is negative, the parabola opens downwards.

5. Can you graph a parabola in vertex form without using a calculator?

Yes, you can graph a parabola in vertex form without using a calculator by identifying the coordinates of the vertex and using the axis of symmetry to plot other points on the parabola. However, a calculator can be helpful in quickly generating multiple points and accurately graphing the parabola.