Write down the equation of the function corresponding to the graph

In summary: So in both cases y stands for the function given And x shows the value on which the function is being shiftedIn summary, to shift a function $f(x)$ horizontally, we can use the formula $f(x+k)$, where $k$ represents the number of units to shift. In the given problem, we were asked to shift the function $y(x)=(x-1)^2-6$ 1 unit to the left, thus resulting in $y(x+1)=((x+1)-1)^2-6=x^2-6$. In this formula, $y$ represents the function given and $x$ represents the value on which the function is being shifted.
mathlearn
Data

A graph in the form of $y=(x-1)^2-6$

Problem

Write down the equation of the function corresponding to the graph obtained when the above graph is translated 1 unit in the negative direction of the $x$ axis

Workings:

-

Where do I need help

In writing the equation of the funtion.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If we are given a function $f(x)$, then to translate the graph of that function $k$ units to the left, we may use $f(x+k)$.

Can you proceed?

MarkFL said:
If we are given a function $f(x)$, then to translate the graph of that function $k$ units to the left, we may use $f(x+k)$.

Can you proceed?

$\displaystyle f(x)=a(x-h)^2+k$

The function is in this form.

Substituting the values,

$y=(x-1)^2-6$

k=-6

Is it $f(x-6)$? but I am not sure whether this is correct?

You are given:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=(x-1)^2-6\)

So, to translate this one unit to the left, use:

\(\displaystyle y(x+1)=((x+1)-1)^2-6=x^2-6\)

MarkFL said:
You are given:

So, to translate this one unit to the left, use:

Thank you very much (Yes) , Now I see it in desmos

[graph]rqbf6pohnc[/graph]

MarkFL said:

Can you proceed?

But what I don't still understand is it's derivation.

Now what has actually happened here \(\displaystyle y(x+1)=((x+1)-1)^2-6=x^2-6\);

Using $f(x+k)$ Do you plug in the values for $f,x,k$ from the given function.

What does $f$ stand for & from which part of the function was a value taken.

A comment here would be highly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Suppose we are given a function $f(x)$ and we wish to shift the graph of that function horizontally. If we wish to shift the function to the left $k$ units, then we can think of accomplishing this by moving our coordinate axes horizontally to the right $k$ units, that is:

\(\displaystyle X=x+k\)

So now what we have is that:

\(\displaystyle f(X)=f(x+k)\)

is the graph of $f(x)$ shifted to the left by $k$ units. Now, in this problem, we are given the function:

And we are told to shift it 1 unit to the left.

So, in terms of what I posted above, we have $y=f,\,k=1$ and so there results:

MarkFL said:
Suppose we are given a function $f(x)$ and we wish to shift the graph of that function horizontally. If we wish to shift the function to the left $k$ units, then we can think of accomplishing this by moving our coordinate axes horizontally to the right $k$ units, that is:

\(\displaystyle X=x+k\)

So now what we have is that:

\(\displaystyle f(X)=f(x+k)\)

is the graph of $f(x)$ shifted to the left by $k$ units. Now, in this problem, we are given the function:

And we are told to shift it 1 unit to the left.

So, in terms of what I posted above, we have $y=f,\,k=1$ and so there results:

(Yes) Thank you very much again

To shift the function to the left y(x+1) and vice versa to shift the function right y(x-1)

1. What is the process for writing down the equation of a function from a graph?

The process for writing down the equation of a function from a graph involves identifying the key points on the graph, such as the x-intercepts, y-intercepts, and any other significant points. Then, using these points, you can determine the slope of the function and use it to write the equation in the form y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept.

2. What is the importance of writing down the equation of a function from a graph?

Writing down the equation of a function from a graph allows you to have a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input (x) and output (y) values. This equation can then be used to make predictions, solve problems, and understand the behavior of the function.

3. How can I determine the slope of a function from a graph?

The slope of a function can be determined by identifying two points on the graph and using the formula (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1). This will give you the change in y over the change in x, which is the definition of slope.

4. Can I write down the equation of a function if the graph is not a straight line?

Yes, it is possible to write down the equation of a function even if the graph is not a straight line. However, the equation will be more complex and may require the use of more advanced mathematical concepts, such as polynomials or trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for quickly writing down the equation of a function from a graph?

There are some shortcuts or tricks that can be used to quickly write down the equation of a function from a graph, such as using the point-slope form or finding the equation of a line of best fit. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the basic principles and methods in order to accurately and efficiently write down the equation.