How Do I Graph the Exponential Decay of Sugar in Water?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the dissolving of sugar in hot water. The initial mass of the sugar was 7 grams and after 5 minutes, it had halved. The mass of sugar, S grams, can be modeled by the equation S(t) = S0e−kt, where t is the time in minutes. The value of S0 is 7 grams and the exact value of k can be found by solving the given equation. To graph the function, use the values of S0 and k to sketch the graph. To find when the mass of the sugar is 1 gram, substitute the values into the equation and solve for t. It is not necessary to use a calculator to graph the function
rachael
11 A spoonful of sugar is dissolving in hot water. The initial mass of the sugar was 7 grams
and 5 minutes later the mass present had halved. The mass of sugar, S grams, at time
t minutes after it was placed in the hot water can be modeled by S(t) = S0e−kt, t ≥ 0.
a State the value of S0.
b Find the exact value of k.
c Sketch the graph of S(t).
d To the nearest second, how long after the sugar was
placed in the hot water was its mass 1 gram?

how do i graph part c on my calculator, which equation do i use to graph it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem doesn't ask you to use your calculator, it asks you to sketch the graph. Find the values of S0 and k, as per parts a and b. Then substitute those values into the given equation for S(t) and sketch from there.

rachael said:
11 A spoonful of sugar is dissolving in hot water. The initial mass of the sugar was 7 grams
and 5 minutes later the mass present had halved. The mass of sugar, S grams, at time
t minutes after it was placed in the hot water can be modeled by S(t) = S0e−kt, t ≥ 0.
a State the value of S0.
b Find the exact value of k.
c Sketch the graph of S(t).
d To the nearest second, how long after the sugar was
placed in the hot water was its mass 1 gram?

how do i graph part c on my calculator, which equation do i use to graph it?

The problem asks you to graph S(t)= S0e-kt Why would you have to ask "which equation do I use to graph it"?
Of course, you use the values of S0 and k you found in parts a and b.

Or are you asking how to enter it into the calculatorf?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Do I Graph the Exponential Decay of Sugar in Water?

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in the form of y = abⁿ, where a is the initial value, b is the growth factor, and n is the exponent. It is characterized by a rapid increase or decrease in value, often represented by a curved line on a graph.

2. How do you graph an exponential function?

To graph an exponential function, you need to plot several points and then connect them with a smooth curve. The points can be found by choosing different values for the exponent, calculating the corresponding y-values, and plotting them on a coordinate plane. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the function.

3. What are the key features of an exponential graph?

The key features of an exponential graph are a rapid increase or decrease in value, a curved shape, and an asymptote. The asymptote is a horizontal line that the graph approaches but never touches. It can be either the x-axis or the y-axis depending on the direction of the exponential function.

4. How do you determine the domain and range of an exponential function?

The domain of an exponential function is all the possible input values or x-values that the function can take. It is typically the set of all real numbers. The range, on the other hand, is all the possible output values or y-values that the function can produce. It can be determined by looking at the asymptote of the graph.

5. How can you use an exponential graph to make predictions?

An exponential graph can be used to make predictions by analyzing its key features. The steepness of the curve can indicate the rate of change, while the asymptote can show the limit or maximum value. By identifying the pattern of the graph, you can make predictions about future values and trends.