I have a exponetial graph but how do I calculate results?

• Thread starter Newbie_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the data will not fit into a linear graph, so a logarithmic graph would be needed, and the equation to find y when x=2 is y'=-5.4255.
Newbie_

Homework Statement

I have a set of data by HPLC that will only fit in an exponential plot in excel.

If I was to use a linear graph I would use y=mx+c but the data will NOT fit into a linear plot.

Homework Equations

The R2 for the exponential graph = 0.9973

y=0.0044e(0.0017x)

where (0.0017x) is superscript.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a value for my recovery that I can read off the graph but don't know how to convert this to ug (I can do this if the graph is linear).

I have plotted µg vs peak response.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Newbie_ said:

Homework Statement

I have a set of data by HPLC that will only fit in an exponential plot in excel.

If I was to use a linear graph I would use y=mx+c but the data will NOT fit into a linear plot.

Homework Equations

The R2 for the exponential graph = 0.9973

y=0.0044e(0.0017x)

where (0.0017x) is superscript.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a value for my recovery that I can read off the graph but don't know how to convert this to ug (I can do this if the graph is linear).

I have plotted µg vs peak response.

Thanks!
Hello Newbie_ . Welcome to PF !

Take the natural logarithm, Ln, of both sides of y=0.0044e(0.0017x) .

If you graph Ln(y) versus x, the graph should be a straight line.

OK thanks for the info + welcome.

I have plotted concentraion (µg) vs ln response and the line is linear.

However I'm a bit confused about reading results from the graph ie

y=0.0017x-5.4289

My ln of the value I want to read off the graph = -2.57286965

If I did not use ln I would (although the values would not be -ve):

(-2.57286965-(-5.4289))/.0017

How do I calculate given that I have used ln?

ie when do I do the anti-ln? Or is the above calculation correct as I have taken the ln of all standard values + am using the ln of the recovery value?

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Newbie_ said:
(-2.57286965-(-5.4289))/.0017

I think this is correct as I have just put in a theoretical example and the "right" result came out. I could be wrong though :eek:

Thanks

If you have an exponential function of the form [tex]y=Ae^{kx}[/tex] for some constants A and k, then taking the log of both sides gives [tex]\ln(y)=\ln(Ae^{kx})[/tex][tex]=\ln(A)+\ln(e^{kx})[/tex][tex]=kx+\ln(A)[/tex]

So what we have plotted is [tex]y'=kx+\ln(A)[/tex] where [itex]y'=\ln(y)[/itex]

Now, the graph you have in your example is [itex]y'=0.0017x-5.4289[/itex] so if you want to find the y value of, say, at x=2, then plug x=2 into the equation to get [itex]y'=-5.4255[/itex] and since [itex]y'=\ln(y)[/itex] then [itex]e^{y'}=y[/itex] thus we get [itex]y=e^{-5.4255}=0.00440[/itex]

If we want it the other way around, that is to find the x value when y=3 for example, we can plug y=3 into the equation and re-arrange to solve for x, or we can re-arrange the equation to make x the subject right off the bat:

[tex]\ln(y)=kx+\ln(A)[/tex]

[tex]kx=\ln(y)-\ln(A)[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{\ln\left(\frac{y}{A}\right)}{k}[/tex]

So for y=3, A=0.0044, k=0.0017, we have [itex]x\approx 3838[/itex]

It might be clearer if you plotted your data on log-scaled graph paper. You can design and print off a sample at this site: http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/logarithmic/

It can produce both log-linear and log-log. (I thought you'd need log-linear, for ex to generate a straight line.)

Related to I have a exponetial graph but how do I calculate results?

1. What is an exponential graph?

An exponential graph is a type of graph that shows a rapid increase or decrease in values over time, resulting in a curve that becomes steeper or flatter as it moves along the x-axis.

2. How do I know if my graph is exponential?

You can determine if a graph is exponential by looking at the pattern of the data points. If the values increase or decrease at a steady rate, the graph is likely exponential. Additionally, the equation for an exponential graph is y = ab^x, where b is the growth or decay factor, so you can also check if your data follows this equation.

3. What is the formula for calculating results on an exponential graph?

The formula for calculating results on an exponential graph is y = ab^x, where y is the output or result, a is the initial value, and b is the growth or decay factor.

4. Can I use a calculator to calculate results on an exponential graph?

Yes, you can use a calculator to calculate results on an exponential graph. Many scientific and graphing calculators have a function for calculating exponential equations. You can also use online graphing calculators or computer programs.

5. How can I interpret the results on an exponential graph?

The results on an exponential graph can be interpreted as the output or value at a specific point in time or for a specific input. It can also show the rate of change or growth/decay over time. Additionally, the results can be used to make predictions or projections about future values on the graph.